Kenai man dies in house fire

Posted: Friday, September 15, 2000

KENAI (AP) -- An early morning house fire Wednesday claimed the life of a Kenai man and forced the evacuation of a nearby apartment building.

The apparent victim of the blaze was William Bujan, 58, of Kenai. Final identification was to be made by Dr. Michael Propst, the state medical examiner.

A preliminary investigation indicated the blaze was accidental and probably related to smoking, said Kenai Fire Department Chief Jason Elson. The house was considered a total loss with damage estimated at $100,000, Elson said.

Firefighters were called to the one-story ranch home around 3 a.m. and found the structure completely engulfed. The body was discovered after the fire was extinguished. That took less than an hour, according to Elson.

Residents of a fourplex less than 20 feet away were evacuated while the blaze was fought.

Kenai Fire Marshal James Baisden said he found no evidence of smoke detectors in the house.

CONTACT US

  • Switchboard: 907-283-7551
  • Circulation and Delivery: 907-283-3584
  • Newsroom Fax: 907-283-3299
  • Business Fax: 907-283-3299
  • Accounts Receivable: 907-335-1257
  • View the Staff Directory
  • or Send feedback

ADVERTISING

SUBSCRIBER SERVICES

SOCIAL NETWORKING

MORRIS ALASKA NEWS