Mosley offers De La Hoya advice
LAS VEGAS Shane Mosley took time off from celebrating his win over Oscar De La Hoya on Monday to offer some advice about dealing with a loss. After that, he offered De La Hoya another fight.
''If he wants to do it again, it's all right with me,'' Mosley said. ''As long as the money is right, that is.''
Refusing to let De La Hoya's talk of an investigation into the judging of the fight tarnish his win, Mosley said De La Hoya needs to accept his loss and move on.
''I think he's a little emotional right now,'' Mosley said. ''He needs to take some time to cool off and understand what's done is done.''
De La Hoya appeared to be doing just that, two days after losing his 154-pound titles to Mosley in a close but unanimous decision.
A spokeswoman for De La Hoya said he was looking at his options, but that no one in the De La Hoya camp wanted to talk about them.
Promoter Bob Arum wasn't as bashful, though, claiming he had evidence of a conspiracy involving a Nevada Athletic Commission member to get the three judges to vote against his fighter. Arum declined to name the commission member, but said he has seen written evidence that backs up his claim.
Singh wins Deere Classic, takes money lead
SILVIS, Ill. Vijay Singh played a quick 13 holes and earned a hefty check that moved him closer to one of his career goals: winning the PGA Tour's season money title.
Singh collected $630,000 for his four-shot win at the rain-delayed John Deere Classic on Monday, moving ahead of Davis Love III on this year's tour earnings list.
''My goal is to really be able to win the money list just once before I finish. This will probably be the best opportunity I get,'' said Singh, who now has collected $5.7 million and a career-high three wins this year.
With three more PGA Tour events on his schedule this year, Singh likes his chances.
''If I can win one more time, I think I've got it sealed,'' said Singh, who also moved past Phil Mickelson for third place on the career money list with nearly $24 million in 11 years on the tour.
Singh closed with a 6-under-par 65 for a total of 16-under 268. He had six birdies in a bogey-free final round that was held over a day after darkness suspended play Sunday night.
Chris Riley (71), J.L. Lewis (71) and Jonathan Byrd (68) shared second at 12-under 272.
Clarett's attorneys file innocent plea
COLUMBUS, Ohio Attorneys for suspended Ohio State tailback Maurice Clarett entered an innocent plea on his behalf Monday on a misdemeanor falsification charge.
Clarett is charged with filing an exaggerated theft report with campus police in April after a dealership's car he was borrowing was broken into. The police report said cash and stereo equipment worth thousands of dollars was taken.
Prosecutors and Ohio State University police last Tuesday filed the charge, which carries a maximum penalty of six months in jail and a $1,000 fine. The case was to be assigned Tuesday to a judge in Franklin County Municipal Court.
The police report was among factors that led to investigations by the NCAA and university, which has suspended the sophomore for at least this season after accusations he broke NCAA bylaws by receiving extra benefits and lying to investigators. Separately, Ohio State is investigating charges that athletes received improper help in classes.
AOL finds group buyer for Hawks, Thrashers
ATLANTA AOL Time Warner has found a group to buy the Atlanta Hawks and Atlanta Thrashers that does not include Texas auto dealer David McDavid, who had been negotiating with the company since April.
AOL Time Warner would not name the new buyers, saying only the group includes ''local partners.''
A person familiar with the deal, speaking on the condition of anonymity, told The Associated Press on Monday night the investment group includes Boston businessman Steve Belkin, who previously pursued an NBA expansion team in Charlotte, and several Atlantans, including businessmen Michael Gearon Sr., Michael Gearon Jr. and attorney Rutherford Seydel.
Gearon Sr. has been associated with the Hawks for 26 years. He was president of the team from 1977-86. Since Stan Kasten became president of the Hawks in 1986, Gearon has been chairman of the team's board of directors.
Seydel is the son-in-law of Ted Turner, who owned the NBA's Hawks and NHL's Thrashers before ceding control to AOL Time Warner. Belkin founded the Trans National Group, a direct response marketing and investment company.
Hudler suspended through end of season
ANAHEIM, Calif. Angels television analyst Rex Hudler, recently suspended after an arrest for investigation of possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia, will not work any more games this season.
The World Series champion Angels, already out of playoff contention, play their last game Sept. 28 against Texas.
Hudler was charged two weeks ago after security guards did a random search of his luggage at the Kansas City airport. He was suspended for violating company policy.
''The suspension is going to be intact for the remainder of the season,'' Anaheim vice president Tim Mead said Monday. ''We'll let everything just kind of clear up and approach the whole situation with a fresh start after the season is over.''
Cubs to retire Santo's number
CHICAGO The Chicago Cubs gave Ron Santo something that means more to him than a spot in the Hall of Fame.
The Cubs announced Monday that they will retire the former third baseman's No. 10 in a ceremony before their Sept. 28 game. It's only the third number retired by the Cubs, joining Hall of Famers Ernie Banks and Billy Williams.
''I'm so overwhelmed. I can't tell you how much this means to me,'' an emotional Santo said before the Cubs played the New York Mets on Monday night.
''I don't care if I get into the Hall of Fame. This is my Hall of Fame. And I really mean it. I can't explain it, but this is the ultimate.''
Santo got a standing ovation from the Wrigley Field crowd when the honor was announced after the fourth inning. He stood in the radio booth and waved, a big smile on his face.
Santo spent all but one season of his 15-year career with the Cubs, making his major league debut in 1960. He was a nine-time All-Star in his 15-year career, finishing with 342 homers and 1,331 RBIs. He hit .300 or better four times, and won five Gold Gloves. He had the best on-base percentage in the league in 1964 and 1966, and led the league in walks four times.
And he did all of that despite being diagnosed with diabetes before his rookie season. He played much of his career without anyone knowing he had the disease, and he's had both legs amputated in the past two years because of the disease and now has prostheses.
''All those years I've played, all those years I've broadcast, they never broke my heart. That's how much I love the Cubs,'' said Santo, the Cubs' radio analyst since 1990.
''If I hadn't had this when my troubles started, I don't know if I would have survived,'' he added. ''I really mean that. It's therapy. And I don't think about anything else.''
Santo was devastated when he was passed over by the Hall of Fame's Veterans Committee in February. He never came close to being elected by the Baseball Writers' Association of America, but he thought he'd have a better chance with his peers.
Instead, he received 46 votes, well shy of the 61 he needed. It was little consolation, but the Veterans Committee didn't select anyone this year.
''For me to be up there, with (Williams and Banks), even without being in the Hall of Fame, I know the people in Chicago believe I belong in the Hall of Fame,'' Santo said. ''And that's all that matters to me.''
Though Santo said he's always hoped the Cubs would retire his number, he never expected it. And he certainly didn't expect it when John McDonough, the Cubs vice president of marketing and broadcasting, asked to see him Monday afternoon.
McDonough took Santo into a conference room at Wrigley Field, and team president and CEO Andy MacPhail soon came in along with Dennis FitzSimons, CEO of the Tribune Co., owner of the Cubs.
''I thought, 'What the heck is going on?''' Santo said. ''You might as well shoot me if you're firing me.''
Instead, they told him his number was being retired.
''Very few players are as closely connected with a franchise as Ron Santo is with the Chicago Cubs,'' MacPhail said. ''The Cubs organization has been privileged to have been associated with someone of the spirit and tenacity that Ron brings to both the ballpark and to life.''
Santo's No. 10, which hasn't been worn by a player since 1998, will fly below Banks' on the left-field foul pole.
''There's nothing more important to me in my life than this happening to me,'' Santo said. ''I'm a Cubbie. I'll always be a Cubbie.''
Peninsula Clarion ©2014. All Rights Reserved.