A volunteer orientation for community members interested in becoming tutors and helping with the local literacy program will be held from 3 and 6 p.m. Thursday at the Kenai Peninsula College Learning Center in room 153. For more information, call Mary at 262-0327.
Park meeting slated
A public meeting to generate ideas and input for the Soldotna Creek Park expansion project will be held at 6:30 p.m. Thursday in the Soldotna City Hall council chambers. Consultants will give an introductory presentation at 7 p.m. followed by group discussions and closing remarks. For more information, call Andrew at 262-3151 or Nancy at 260-8418.
Raffle fundraiser continues
The Skyview High School volleyball booster club is holding a raffle fundraiser. The prizes are a locally handmade log rocker, a large hand-carved and hand-painted wooden salmon and a rustic handmade wooden welcome sign. Tickets are $5 each and available for purchase until right before the drawing which is Oct. 5 before the varsity game at the school. For more information, call Lesley West at 260-6666 or Kit Lamborn at 260-3083.
KPBSD seeks volunteers
The Kenai Peninsula Borough School District is seeking volunteers to serve the following committees:
* The budget committee will meet Nov. 9 and 12. This committee will review the district's budget parameters to provide suggestions for consideration in developing the FY09 budget to be submitted to the Board of Education.
* The health curriculum will meet Oct. 2 and 18. This committee will review the current curriculum and make necessary changes based on Alaska state standards and national recommendations in the area of health education.
* The science curriculum will meet Oct. 16. This committee will review the current curriculum and make necessary changes based on Alaska State standards, current data, and research in the field of science.
* Federal programs advisory committee. This committee reviews district data and makes recommendations for districtwide activities in keeping with the state and federal regulations for grant programs. Three meetings are held each year. Attendance at meetings is required. An application for this committee can be found at www.kpbsd.k12.ak.us/departments.aspx?id=7822.
The deadline to express interest in a committee is 4:30 p.m. Sept. 28. For more information, visit www.kpbsd.k12.ak.us or call the district office at 714-8888.
USDA food programs offered
* Central Peninsula Counseling Services announces its participation in the USDA Child and Adult Care Food Program. Meals will be made available to enrolled children at no separate charge without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age or disability. For income eligibility requirements, call Steve Stauber at 283-7501.
* The LeeShore Center announces its participation in the USDA Child and Adult Care Food Program. Meals will be made available to enrolled children at no separate charge without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age or disability. For income eligibility requirements, call Jennette Browning at 283-4707.
© 2017. All Rights Reserved. | Contact Us