Judge orders new trial in Raiders lawsuit
LOS ANGELES -- Citing jury misconduct, a Los Angeles Superior Court judge on Monday ordered a new trial in the Oakland Raiders' $1.2 billion conspiracy lawsuit against the National Football League.
In a 9-3 vote last year, a Superior Court jury rejected the Raiders' claims that the NFL sabotaged the team's plans to build a new stadium in the Los Angeles area and that the team still owned the NFL rights to the Los Angeles market.
The Raiders moved back to Oakland from Los Angeles in 1995 -- 13 years after they moved south.
The misconduct allegation was raised after five jurors in last year's six-week trial said they overheard one member of the panel say he hated the Raiders and team owner Al Davis and would never vote in their favor, Raiders attorney Larry Feldman said.
The ruling calling for a new trial was made by Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Richard C. Hubbell, who heard the first trial.
U.S. advances to semifinals of World Basketball
NANJING, China -- Shannon Johnson scored 20 points in a 94-55 victory over Spain on Monday, leading the defending champion United States into the semifinals of the Women's World Basketball Championship.
Lisa Leslie added 19 points and six rebounds, and Sheryl Swoopes scored 17 points for the U.S. team, which will face Australia in the semifinals Tuesday.
Lauren Jackson scored 33 points for Australia, which won the silver medal at the Sydney Olympics. In the quarterfinals, Chun Joo-weon scored 15 points to lead South Korea to a 71-70 win over Brazil 71-70; and Elena Baranova scored 23 points in Russia's 86-70 victory over host China.
Bengals changing QBs again; Smith to start
CINCINNATI -- Akili Smith is back as the Cincinnati Bengals' starting quarterback.
Coach Dick LeBeau, whose team has scored just 16 points in an 0-3 start, said the third overall pick in the 1998 draft will start against Tampa Bay on Sunday.
Smith, the Bengals' starter in 2000, had been languishing as the third-stringer.
He has the ability to scramble for yardage if his receivers are covered, an element that the Bengals' other two quarterbacks -- Gus Frerotte and Jon Kitna -- lack.
Teenager held in attack on coach to stand trial
CHICAGO -- The teenager who attacked Kansas City Royals coach Tom Gamboa on the field was ordered Monday to stand trial in juvenile court.
A date will be set Tuesday for a trial on a felony charge of aggravated battery. The 15-year-old boy, who was not identified, ran onto the field at Comiskey Park with his father at the Royals-White Sox game Thursday and attacked Gamboa. The teen's attorney, Assistant Public Defender Christopher Swanson, asked the judge to allow the teen to go home with his mother, but the judge ordered him held in a juvenile facility at least until after Tuesday's hearing.
During Monday's hearing, the boy, wearing blue jeans and a black and blue T-shirt, stood quietly. His mother, grandmother and other relatives stood nearby.
Assistant State's Attorney Catherine Gregorovic outlined how the teenager and his father, William Ligue Jr., ran onto the field during the game and ''attacked somebody in front of thousands of people.''
During the ninth inning last Thursday night, Gamboa, 54, was coaching first, facing the field, when two shirtless men rushed him from behind. They knocked him to the ground, where they continued to punch and kick him.
On Saturday, the teenager's father was held on $200,000 bail. Ligue, 34, faces the same felony charge as his son.
During that hearing, Assistant State's Attorney Colleen Daly described the attack as premeditated and that Ligue had even telephoned his sister, telling her to turn the game on her television because he was going to be on.
Daly said the father told police he ran onto the field because he was angry that the White Sox were losing.
Peninsula Clarion ©2015. All Rights Reserved.