School board meetings slated
The Kenai Peninsula Borough School District Board of Education meets at 7 p.m. at 148 N. Binkley St. in Soldotna (unless otherwise noted).
For more information, call 714-8888 or visit www.kpbsd.k12.ak.us/school_board.aspx?id.
* Monday Seward High School;
* Oct. 15;
* Nov. 5;
* Dec. 3;
* Jan. 14;
* Feb. 4;
* Feb. 18;
* March 3 Homer High School;
* April 7;
* May 5 Seward High School;
* June 2; and
* June 3 Board planning session.
KPBSD seeks volunteers
The Kenai Peninsula Borough School District is seeking volunteers to serve the following committees:
* The budget committee will meet Nov. 9 and 12. This committee will review the district's budget parameters to provide suggestions for consideration in developing the FY09 budget to be submitted to the Board of Education.
* The health curriculum committee will meet Oct. 2 and 18. This committee will review the current curriculum and make necessary changes based on Alaska state standards and national recommendations in the area of health education.
* The science curriculum committee will meet Oct. 16. This committee will review the current curriculum and make necessary changes based on Alaska State standards, current data, and research in the field of science.
* Federal programs advisory committee. This committee reviews district data and makes recommendations for districtwide activities in keeping with the state and federal regulations for grant programs. Three meetings are held each year. Attendance at meetings is required. An application for this committee can be found at www.kpbsd.k12.ak.us/departments.aspx?id=7822.
The deadline to express interest in a committee is 4:30 p.m. Friday. For more information, visit www.kpbsd.k12.ak.us or call the district office at 714-8888.
The school's enrollment is ongoing. The program provides curriculum, educational materials, certified teacher assistance, music, art and physical education activity support. For more information, call 714-8880.
School pictures will be taken from 1 to 3 p.m. today at Magic Moments Studio in Soldotna.
High School Graduation Qualifying Exams retakes for grades 11 and 12 will be held at 7:45 a.m. Oct. 2 (reading), Oct. 3 (writing), Oct. 4 (math) in the Kenai Central High School Green Room. Students are asked to call their advisers for more information.
Kaleidoscope School of Arts and Science
The PTA library book committee will meet at 3:50 p.m. Wednesday.
The Nicholson holiday fundraiser packets are due Friday. Students are asked to turn in their tickets for selling items to the treasure chest at the office. Drawings for prizes will be held Wednesday and Friday. Box tops will continue to be collected throughout the school year, with drawings for books to begin soon.
The PTA will meet at 6 p.m. Oct. 2.
An assembly will be held at 9:20 a.m. Friday for the students to sing together.
The volunteer training video will be available by the end of the week for anyone who was unable to attend training sessions. Call the office to set up a time to view it.
Kalifornsky Beach Elementary
The Veterans' Wall of Honor will be displayed at the school Oct. 29 through Nov. 9. School families may bring photos of their military veterans in military uniform (with a clear view of their face) to be displayed. Photos must include rank, name, branch of service, years of service and veteran's relationship to the student or staff. For more information, call Steve at 260-1309.
Friday will be open mic night from 7 to 9 p.m. in the Little Theatre. It is open to the public.
The first day of wrestling practice is Monday. Students interested in wrestling must have a current physical and have their paperwork turned in before practice. For more information, call coach Boyle at 283-7524.
On Monday the districtwide student government conference will be held at Nikiski Middle-High School.
Oct. 2 through 4 the high school qualifying exam retakes will be given to juniors and seniors who did not pass any parts of the exam. Call Jon Lillevik at 283-2110 for more information.
Activity cards are on sale for $20. Admission to athletic events (excluding region or state tournaments) at KCHS, Skyview, Soldotna, Seward, Homer, and Nikiski high schools is free with the card. See Mrs. Gabriel in the office for more information.
Dates to remember:
* Today Junior varsity and varsity volleyball at Nikiski at 5 and 6:30 p.m.;
* Friday varsity volleyball at Homer and swimming at Skyview at 3 p.m.; and
* Saturday junior varsity and varsity football vs SoHi at 11 a.m. and 2 p.m., varsity volleyball at Homer and cross-country running state at Palmer.
The Character Counts winners from last week are: Kean Brooks and John Q. Wilson.
General Mills box tops fundraiser continues. Students are asked to take them to the office with their name on the back and take a chance at winning a soda.
Adult volunteers are needed to mentor. Mentors are listeners, supporters, encouragers, and friends. Mentors meet with up to three students for approximately 45 minutes, once per week, during school time in the school. Training is provided and occurs once per month. An organizational meeting will be scheduled this month. Male and female mentors are needed. If interested, call Mark Manuel at 283-4896.
Nurse Pam Howard will hold TB testing today for seventh-graders and new students. On Thursday overall health screening for seventh-graders and new students will be held. For more information, call the school at 283-4896.
Dates to remember:
* Today Soccer first round boroughs;
* Friday school picture retakes at 8 a.m. and cross-country running boroughs at 3 p.m.;
* Saturday soccer boroughs at Soldotna Middle School at 10 a.m.;
* Monday basketball begins for seventh- and eighth-graders; and
* Oct. 15 choir concert at 7 p.m. at Kenai Central High School.
Mountain View Elementary
The new PTA officers are Sandie Holmes, president; Garnet Sarks, vice president; Alice Maxie, secretary; and Elizabeth Parazoo, treasurer. PTA fundraising information will be sent home soon.
The school looks forward to seeing its new volunteers in the school.
Annual Title I parent meeting will be held at 6:30 p.m. Thursday in the library. It is open to Title I parents. A committee meeting will take place prior to the annual meeting at 6 p.m. The topics will be the Title 1 program and an introduction of teachers and materials. For more information, call Katy or Kristin at 283-6148.
Dates to remember:
* Today Homecoming Dress Up Day (hats and shades), picture retakes in the morning, lunch activities (hanging doughnut and human pyramid) and volleyball vs Kenai Central High School;
* Wednesday Homecoming Dress Up Day (colors), and lunch activities (tricycle race and spaghetti eating);
* Thursday Homecoming Dress Up Day (western and hippy), and lunch activities (candy cane race and Alka-Seltzer and pop);
* Friday Homecoming Dress Up Day (Spirit), lunch activities (fetch the bone and mattress race), assembly and rally at 1:30 p.m., powder puff game at 6 p.m. and bonfire to follow the game; and
* Saturday football vs Seward and 8 p.m. dance.
The program is holding ongoing enrollment for students in grades kindergarten through 12 through Sept. 30. Visit www.ravenschool.com or call Kathy at 262-2735 to enroll.
The school has added Brightways Learning software. Software can track student's individualized learning plans and progress reports.
The program also uses Alaska Interior Distance Education. AIDE is designed for students ages 15 to 20 that need assistance finishing high school.
The Soldotna office will host an open house for new teacher Melinda Lewis from 1 to 3 p.m. Monday. Refreshments will be available.
The QSP fundraiser ended Monday. Orders should arrive mid-November.
Taco Loco wild Alaskan salmon wraps will be served in the lunchroom Wednesday. This is a menu change. Students who have a complete school lunch that day will be entered in a drawing for a bicycle. Purchase of entrees or snacks will not qualify students for the drawing.
Students having a school lunch today will receive a free bar of soap.
Family Math and Science Night will be held from 6 to 7 p.m. today in the gym. Students and their families are invited to the free event. Pizzas will arrive at 5:30 p.m. for those who preordered.
Vanessa Anglebrandt, Brandon Partin, and Emily Olson were the Big G box tops drawing winners. Students may put their name on the back of the box tops and put them in the container in front of the office to be entered in the weekly prize drawing.
Students are reminded to put their name on everything they bring to school, including coats, snowpants, boots, shoes and lunch boxes. Lost items can be returned quickly to their owners.
The school will participate in Walk your Child to Scho ol Day on Oct. 3. Information will be sent home soon.
The National Honor Society honored the following students as outstanding students of the month: Kayla Sawyer, physics; James Zimmerman, algebra A; Holly Jenkins, Spanish I; Dillon Ball, drafting; Robin Davis, college prep writing; and Sarah Walton and Matt Grubb, U.S. History.
Parents of juniors will meet tonight in the staff workroom at 6.
Parents of seniors will meet Thursday at 6 p.m. in the staff workroom.
Jostens will meet with seniors Wednesday during advisory to discuss announcements and caps and gowns.
The High School Graduation Qualifying Exam will be administered Oct. 2 through 4.
Senior portrait photos for the yearbook are due in room 76 by Oct. 5.
Yearbooks can be ordered online for $55. See www.shop.jostens.com or SoHi Edline page for a direct link.
The school newsletter can be accessed at https://www.edline.net/pages/Soldotna_Middle/News/Newsletter
Dates to remember:
* Today soccer first round of boroughs, parents are reminded to ask their students if they are playing that day;
* Wednesday school picture retakes;
* Friday cross-country running borough meet at Kenai at 3 p.m. and fortnightly at 6 p.m.; and
* Saturday borough soccer tournament at 10 a.m.
Soldotna Montessori Charter
Last Friday, the school gathered in the gym for the dress rehearsal for the evening peace concert. Families gathered with students in classrooms to make pinwheels as part of the pinwheels for peace program. In support of public awareness of the International Peace Day, students recorded a public service announcement, which played on local radio stations to remind the public of the day.
School picture day is Wednesday. Siblings may be brought in at 3 p.m. for pictures. Pictures must be prepaid, using the order form. Extra forms are available from the office. Retakes will be taken Oct. 17.
The last day to bring in QSP orders is Wednesday.
PTA is accepting candy donations for the annual Trunk or Treat event which will be held Halloween from 5 to 6:30 p.m. The event is open to the public.
Parents are asked to watch the Thursday folders for conference scheduling forms.
The school is looking for volunteers to help in all grade levels. Call the school at 262-4944 or drop by to volunteer.
School pictures are scheduled for Friday. Photographers generally begin with the youngest grades at the beginning of the school day, and strive to complete the school enrollment by mid-day. Parents wishing to have pictures taken of preschool age children should plan on going to the school at noon. For more information, call the studio at 262-4279.
The PTO sponsored 5-kilometer run or walk Sept. 16. More than $700 was raised for the PTO by children and adults who participated.
To have all-school events published in Schools, send a 350-word description to email@example.com. The deadline for submission is noon Friday for publication in the following Tuesday's paper. For information, call 335-1241.
Peninsula Clarion ©2013. All Rights Reserved.