ANCHORAGE (AP) -- A 20-year-old man was sentenced Wednesday to three years probation for his role in holding a 16-year-old boy against his will.
Nathan Carroll, convicted of assault, avoided a longer sentence because he cooperated with police from the start, prosecutors said.
Carroll served about two months in jail and will have to serve another two years and 10 months if he violates probation, assistant district attorney Sharon Illsley said.
Four others pleaded no contest to assault earlier this year. Each received between six months and one year in jail, Illsley said.
Co-defendant, Nicholas M. Stevens, 21, went on trial in August. A jury convicted him of kidnapping and four counts of assault. His sentencing is set for December, Illsley said.
According to charging documents, the victim went to a trailer on South Tahiti Loop with a friend in February. When he arrived, two people beat him and knocked him unconscious. When he woke up, he was bound with duct tape.
The group kept him in the trailer for two days and the boy was branded on his back. He escaped by chewing through the tape.
Peninsula Clarion ©2014. All Rights Reserved.