Chambers set schedules
· Nikiski Chamber of Commerce will meet at noon today at Nikiski Fire Station No. 1 at Mile 17.9 of the Kenai Spur Highway. For more information, call Judene Van Cleave at 776-5551.
· The Soldotna Chamber of Commerce will meet at noon Tuesday at Froso’s in Soldotna. For more information, call Michelle at 262-9814.
· The Kenai Chamber of Commerce will meet at noon Wednesdays at Paradisos in Kenai. For more information, call Janie at 283-7989.
Cold Stone to hold fundraiser
The Soldotna Cold Stone Creamery will participate in the chain’s annual World’s Largest Ice Cream Social nationwide fundraiser that benefits the Make-A-Wish Foundation.
From 5 to 8 p.m. today, the store will serve free 3 ounce servings of Cole’s Creation chocolate ice cream with yellow cake, chocolate chips and rainbow sprinkles. Donations for the foundation will be accepted at that time. In addition to donations, customers may personalize paper wish stars and post them in the stores. Wish stars are available for $1 through September.
Breathing seminar planned
Laurie Schaeffer in conjunction with The Art of Living Foundation will host Hitu Jugessur for a free introductory breathing presentation at 7 p.m. Oct. 9 at the Salamatof Center on Willow Street in Kenai. The topic will be “The Science of Breath. “ Community members 16-years or older who are not pregnant, have epilepsy or on lithium medication may attend.
Jugessur will hold courses from 7 to 9:30 p.m. Tuesday through Oct. 6 and from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Oct. 7 and 8 at the Kenaitze Family House in Kenai and from 7 to 9:30 p.m. Oct. 10 through 13 and from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Oct. 14 and 15 at Mindful Therapies Yoga in Kenai.
The topics will be how breathing can: reduce levels of stress; benefit the immune system; reduce cholesterol; relive anxiety and depression; enhance brain function; and enhance health, well being and peace of mind. Community members 16-years or older who are not pregnant, have epilepsy or on lithium medication may attend. The cost is $250 for adults or $125 for students. For more information or to register, call Laurie Schaeffer at 394-1148 or e-mail her at email@example.com. Proceeds will benefit The Art of Living Foundation.
Carpet One launches ‘star’ pet search
Four D Carpet One in conjunction with other Carpet One Floor and Home stores is holding the Muddiest Buddy contest to celebrate the relaunch of it Lees carpet brand.
All pets are eligible to be entered. Application are available online at CarpetOne.com or at Four D Carpet One at 35477 Kenai Spur Highway, Suite 103, Soldotna.
Pet owners are asked to bring a photo of their pet at its dirtiest. The contest will run Sunday through Nov. 24. Finalist will be selected and posted online in December, when national voting will take place. The final winner will be chosen in January. For more information, call 262-91841 or (800) 450-7595, ext. 2305.
Workers’ compensation seminar set
The Alaska Department of Labor and Workforce Development will hold a wage and hour and workers’ compensation employer seminar Oct. 17 at the Peninsula Job Center at 11312 Kenai Spur Highway, Suite 2 at the following times:
· Wage and hour from 10 :30 a.m. to noon. The topics will be minimum wage, overtime, exempt employees, non-exempt employees, record keeping laws, breaks, on-call, travel time. return transportation and final pay.
· Workers’ compensation from 1:30 to 3 p.m. The topics will be Alaska’s Workers’ Compensation Act and what it provides, the requirements for employers and finding out if you may be approved as a self insurer.
The presentation is free and open to employers. For more information, call 283-2900.
Food donation gets you in the movies
The Kambe Theatre’s Can-Do Attitude Can Film Festival will be held today. By donating three small canned foods, donors will receive a free movie admission and small popcorn. Call 283-4554 for movie selections and times. All food collected will be donated to the Kenai Peninsula Food Bank.
For more information, call 262-3111.
© 2016. All Rights Reserved. | Contact Us