Sterling Community News

Posted: Monday, October 01, 2007

I got the following bit of news from DeeDee Garske.

"If anyone was wondering if there is any truth to the rumor that Jacquie Dillon and Terry Moxey got married Saturday, Sept. 22, 2007, I will go ahead and tell you that it did, in fact, happen! Shirley Twohy, sister of bride and Rene Merkes, daughter of groom stood up for the couple in a small ceremony at Our Lady of Perpetual Help Catholic Church, with Father Tero officiating. Out-of-town guests included, well, no one, as no one was invited. Please congratulate Mr. and Mrs. Terry Moxey the next time you see them."

After playing a lengthy game of phone tag, I finally caught up with Pat Klouda for a chat.

She and her husband, Fred recently had George and Clayton Pollard over to their house for a visit.

George and Fred were born in Anchorage in 1926.

"They were both born in the old Railroad Hospital on C Street. This was way before Providence Hospital," she said.

The old hospital was torn down long ago and a hotel now stands on the site.

"I think we sometimes forget that Anchorage has not always been a big city. Back then Anchorage was very isolated. There were no roads in. There wasn't even a road to Palmer. The only other town you could really get to was Seward and you had to take the train," Pat said.

Pat also said it was a very enjoyable conversation, listening to all the old stories.

I once again got a bear story in my e-mail box this week.

Hope Hunt was on a trail ride with her Morgan stallion, Tyone, off of Kenai Keys at the end of Feuding Lane last week. Before too long she realized she was following not one, but two different sets of fresh bear tracks.

One set was a black bear, and one was a large brown bear with tracks about 10 inches long and 5 inches across.

The bear's tracks were over the top of a large set of moose tracks. The black bear soon turned off the trail, but the brown bear continued on ahead of them, sometimes, even showing by the spacing of the tracks, that it seemed to be running.

At one point Tyone stopped to relieve himself on the trail. Hope continued on a while further, but eventually felt that the tracks looked awfully fresh and the horse seemed to be getting a wee bit uncomfortable, so they turned around and headed back.

By the time they got back to the place where the horse urinated, the brown bear already had circled back to that spot and dug around the horse's scent-mark and tracks.

Needless to say, Hope found good motivation to encourage Tyone to "beat feet" for home and Tyone was happy to comply.

All's well that ends well, but I'm sure it must have been spooky to realize that bear had come back around behind them. I'm sure that is a ride Hope will not soon forget.

Subscribe to Peninsula Clarion

Trending this week:


© 2018. All Rights Reserved. | Contact Us