* An artist reception for Kathy Matta will be held at the new Kaladi's in Soldotna from 5 to 7 p.m. tonight
* A Kenai Photographer's Guild reception second floor of Peninsula Health Services at 230 E. Marydale (behind the Fitness Place) in Soldotna from 5:30 to 8 p.m. tonight
* An artist reception for the group experimental exhibit "CAKE" at the Kenai Fine Arts Center will be held from 6 to 8 p.m.
* An artist reception for photographer Mark Pierson at the Funky Monkey in Kenai from 6 to 8 p.m. tonight. There will be complementary hors d'oeuvres with music by jazz guitarist J. D. Uponen.
* Bluegrass jam at the Christ Lutheran Church in Soldotna at 6:30 p.m. tonight
* An artist reception for Artists Without Borders will be held at the 4-D Interiors Building in Soldotna from 5 to 7 p.m. tonight
* The Great American Circus will perform at the Soldotna Sports Center at 5 and 8 p.m. Friday. Ticket prices start at $11 for kids under 12 and $19 for adults and are available for purchase at www.takemetothecircus.com, by calling 808-667-4540 and through Ticketmaster.
* Kenai Peninsula Orchestra sponsors their fundraising Evening of Classics on Friday at 7 p.m. at Christ Lutheran Church in Soldotna. Celebrate fall with great music and musicians, local favorites Sue Biggs, Natasha Vaissenberg, Kent Peterson, Audra Faris, Harvery Ambrose, Karen Syvrud, Mary Broderick, Trina Uvaas, Steve Hileman, Emily Grossman, and many more. The Redoubt Chamber Orchestra, directed by Tammy Vollom-Matturro, will be on the program. AND - if you've ever dreamed of conducting an orchestra, this is your big chance. There will be an auction for the orchestral baton of the Redoubt Chamber Orchestra, and the opportunity to conduct the Redoubt Orchestra in one number! Marc Berezin will emcee the event. Admission is $10 and $5 at the door. For more information, call 283-0781.
* There will be a watercolor paint together at the Kenai Fine Art Center in Old Town Kenai Saturday from noon to 3 p.m.
Local watercolorists, 18 and older, (dabblers welcome) will be joining together to share some creative time together, socializing and sharing in a snack potluck. Bring your watercolor paraphernalia along, and a snack to share if you like.
* The Kenai Watershed Forum will hold a fundraising Black Tie Crystal Ball from 7 p.m. to midnight Saturday at the Peninsula Center Mall in Soldotna, with cocktails and hors d'oeuvers, live music, dancing and extravagant door prizes. Tickets are $250, available from the forum. Contact Josselyn at 260-5449 or visit www.kenaiwatershed.org.
* Local band Waking Cerberus is doing their CD release party Saturday from 10 p.m. to 3 a.m. at Arctic records @ Studio986 Next to Sharps Billiards in Kenai. Admission is $7 and includes a free CD. The event is sponsored by Inlet Taxi. Other bands A Breath before Battle and Kronik OnyX will be playing. For more information, call 283-2822.
* Emily Grossman has her art up at the Kobuk Kaladi Brothers Coffeehouse for October. She will have a "meet the artist" on Friday from 5 p.m. to 6 p.m.
* Odie's Deli on the Sterling Highway in Soldotna has photography for display throughout October by Shawna Shields
* The Soldotna Historical Museum, on Centennial Park Road off K-Beach Road, is open from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesdays through Saturdays, noon to 4 p.m. Sundays and closed Mondays.
* The Kasilof Historical Society's cabin museum is open 1 to 4 p.m. Tuesdays through Sundays until Labor Day, or by appointment. The cabin is at Mile 1.5 of Kalifornsky Beach Road off of the Sterling Highway. For more information, call 262-2999 or 252-2777.
* The Kenai National Wildlife Refuge Visitors Center on Ski Hill Road outside Soldotna has films on wildlife, the refuge and the history of the area daily at noon, 1, 2, 3 and 4 p.m. For more information and complete program listing, call 262-7021.
* St. Elias Brewing Company has live tonight from 7 to 9 p.m.
* The Funky Monkey Cafe in Kenai has a song circle from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Wednesdays and live music Saturdays from 6 to 8 p.m.
* Odie's Deli on the Sterling Highway in Soldotna will have live music on Saturdays from 6 to 9 p.m.
* The J-Bar B located at mile 101 Sterling Highway hosts Blind Draw Doubles Horseshoe Tournament every Thursday starting at 6 p.m.
* AmVets Post No. 4 in the Red Diamond Center holds blind draw darts at 7 p.m. Wednesdays; Texas Hold 'em at 7 p.m. Fridays and 4 p.m. Sundays; and open house and dinner at 6 p.m. and karaoke with Mary and Jack at 8 p.m. Saturdays.
* The Bow in Kenai has free Texas Hold 'em at 7 p.m. Monday and Wednesday; live music with Acoustic Rhythm Machine from 9 p.m. to 1 a.m. and pool leagues Tuesday; and live music with the Maybrey Brothers Thursday through Saturday.
* Hooligans Saloon in Soldotna has poker Tuesdays and Thursdays starting at 5:30 p.m. and live music Thursday, Friday Saturday and Sunday nights.
* The Duck Inn on Kalifornsky Beach Road has karaoke at 9 p.m. Thursdays through Saturdays.
* The Riverside House in Soldotna hosts the After 10 party Fridays and Saturdays with Rock Star DJ Service and dancing until 5 a.m. On Saturdays starting at 6 p.m. there is a free Poker Night with Texas Hold 'em Tournaments hosted by Kenai Peninsula Poker Association.
* The 406 in Kenai has karaoke with Steve and Debbie at 9 p.m. Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays.
* Mugz Coffee Lounge in Soldotna's The Blazy Mall has music by Robb Justice and Friends from 6 to 9 p.m. Mondays.
* Mykel's Restaurant in Soldotna has music by Dave Unruh and Bob Ramponi on Fridays and Saturdays from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m.
* Call Orca Theaters at 262-7003 for listings and times.
* Call Kambe Cinemas at 283-4554 for listings and times.
Down the road
* The Pratt Museum in Homer is open from noon to 5 p.m., Tuesday's through Sundays. Admission is free on Wednesdays. For more information, visit www.prattmuseum.org.
Submissions may be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline is 5 p.m. Mondays.
Peninsula Clarion ©2014. All Rights Reserved.