LOS ANGELES -- The show may go on for the twice-postponed Emmy Awards, and a military base is among the new locations being proposed for the ceremony, award show sources said Tuesday.
CBS and the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences are working on a plan for a ceremony to air before the end of the year, although details remain unsettled, the sources said, speaking on condition of anonymity.
A wide variety of plans are under consideration, including one that would turn the TV ceremony into entertainment for troops at a California military base, the sources said. It was unclear whether military cooperation had been sought yet.
Other settings such as hotel ballrooms also were being weighed by Emmy organizers. A taped, packaged version of the ceremony that is traditionally broadcast live was among the ideas floated.
Some in the industry are jittery about taking part in a ceremony at a visible and well-known landmark like the Shrine Auditorium. Officials are looking for a location and format that will allow participants to feel secure, one academy source said. A plan could be announced after the academy's executive committee meets Thursday.
The Emmys were called off Sunday, hours before the Shrine ceremony was to air on CBS, after the United States and Britain launched air attacks on Afghanistan. The show already been postponed from its original Sept. 16 air date because of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.
Network and academy officials declined to comment on the awards' future Tuesday.
Both CBS and the TV academy have much at stake. The network, which has paid a license fee of more than $3 million to the academy for the telecast, stands to lose advertising revenue if a show doesn't air.
The academy relies on the license fee and ticket sales for a substantial portion of its annual budget.
At a news conference Sunday, CBS Television President Leslie Moonves and academy chair Bryce Zabel said they were respecting the majority opinion in the industry that Sunday's show should be called off.
Moonves acknowledged that producers and casts of major television series, which he declined to identify, were reluctant to attend after the attacks began.
There had been dissent over whether the awards should have been held in the aftermath of the East Coast terrorist attacks. The academy and CBS had tried to quell concerns by cutting back on the ceremony's glamour and including tributes to terrorism's heroes and victims.
Peninsula Clarion ©2013. All Rights Reserved.