JUNEAU (AP) -- Two teenage girls are accused of planning to kill 22 fellow classmates and teachers at Haines High School.
A 15-year-old girl is charged with first-degree conspiracy to commit murder and a 14-year-old girl has been detained for a psychiatric evaluation, Haines police said. They were taken into custody Friday.
After her arrest, the 15-year-old girl was lodged at the Johnson Youth Center in Juneau.
The younger girl, an alleged co-conspirator, was taken to Bartlett Regional Hospital for the psychiatric evaluation, said Haines Police Chief Greg Goodman. Conspiracy charges will be filed against the younger girl once she is released from the hospital, Goodman said. She was admitted, he said, because police believed she was a suicide risk.
Goodman said charges stem from a note, allegedly written by one of the girls, listing three people in the school they were going to kill. School officials found the note around 12:30 p.m. Friday on a desk near a faculty member's office. The girls were in custody by 3:45 p.m., Goodman said.
''The note was very threatening in nature and detailed,'' said Goodman. ''(It said) how the girls were going to do it, where they were going to do it and names they needed to add to the list. They also talked about changing the order in which they killed them all. We took the note very seriously.''
Goodman declined to release details of how the girls allegedly planned to commit the murders.
Police also obtained a journal belonging to the 14-year-old containing 19 additional names of potential victims. Haines High School has 115 students.
The girls allegedly hatched their plan in a series of notes passed to each other at school, Goodman said. Police said the girls had a suicide pact school faculty ''had been trying to deal with for some time.''
The note did not indicate a reason for the proposed killing spree, Goodman said. Police said they planned to interview people on the alleged death list to determine a possible motive.
Haines High School Principal Charlie Jones said everyone on the girls' list was notified about the note as a precaution.
''Parents have been calling into the office and their number one concern is whether their child is on the list or not,'' Jones told the Juneau Empire. ''We're telling them that unless they got a call from us they are not on the list. We are doing everything we can to make sure the school is safe.''
Peninsula Clarion © 2015. All Rights Reserved. | Contact Us