Electronics recycling to be discussed
Electronics recycling will be discussed from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. today in room 158 in the Brockel Building at Kenai Peninsula College. A presentation by Reilly Kosinski of Total Reclaim will explain how and why it is important to recycle electronic devices. A video and demonstration activities will be featured.
An electronics recycling event sponsored by local recycling groups will be held from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Nov. 3. For more information, call Jan 262-5098.
Public comment sought on park
There will be a public meeting to review park design alternatives for the Soldotna Creek Park expansion project at 6:30 p.m. Thursday in the Soldotna City Hall council chambers. The project encompasses the grassy area known as DOT Park and its connections to surrounding areas.
Participants will have opportunities to review the drawings, ask questions and provide comments and input on the alternatives. A final conceptual plan will be presented to Soldotna City Council on Nov. 14. For more information, call Nancy Casey at 260-8418.
Book sale fundraiser slated
The Triumvirate Theatre Bookstore will hold a "name your price" book sale fundraiser from noon to 6 p.m. Saturday at its store at the Peninsula Center Mall in Soldotna. The sale will benefit Landon Rogers, 4, a Kenai boy with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. Customers may purchase any book for any price. For more information, call 953-7262.
Sports gear swap scheduled
The Kenai Central High School ski team booster club will host an all-type sports gear swap from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday in the school cafeteria. Gear may be dropped off from 4 to 7:30 p.m. Friday or 9 to 10 a.m. Saturday. Krispy Kreme doughnuts also will be available for purchase. For more information, call 262-9022.
Community Harvest, Halloween carnivals slated
Below is a list of community Halloween activities:
* Grace Lutheran Church and School harvest festival featuring carnival games, costume parade, soup cook-off and cheesecake competition will be held from 6 to 8 p.m. Friday at the school. Families are asked to donate a bag of candy for prizes. For more information, call Dennis Leckwee at 283-9551 or visit www.gracelutherankenai.com.
* Our Lady of Perpetual Help's Halloween carnival will be held from 5 to 9 p.m. Friday and from 1 to 4 p.m. Saturday. Games, activities and refreshments will take place in the old Catholic Church at 222 W. Redoubt in Soldotna.
The church also will host an Octoberfest bingo for quilts from 6 to 9 p.m. Friday. Barbecue pork sandwiches, baked beans, coleslaw, assorted pies and desserts and coffee and hot cider will be served.
For more information, call 262-7801.
* Kenai Visitors and Cultural Center will host Halloween movies, a cupcake walk and craft activities from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday. For more information, call 283-1991 or e-mail www.artskenai.com.
* A Halloween extravaganza to benefit the Kenai Peninsula Food Bank will be held from 5 to 8 p.m. Saturday at the north end of Peninsula Center Mall in Soldotna. Games prizes, crazy hair, pictures, treats and a fortuneteller are planned. Attendees donating canned food will receive tickets for carnival booths. Proceeds from purchased tickets and canned food will be donated to the food bank. For more information, call 262-2678 or 262-3111.
* Kenai New Life Assembly of God's harvest carnival will be held from 6 to 8 p.m. Oct. 31 at the church at 209 Princess St. The carnival is for children ages 3 to 11. Games, a donkey ride, food, candy, prizes and a jumping balloon castle are planned. For more information, call 283-7752.
* Abundant Life Church will host a glow in the dark fall harvest carnival from 6 to 8:30 p.m. Oct. 31 at the church at Mile 81.5 of the Sterling Highway. There will be no charge for games, food and candy. For more information, call 262-7266.
* Trunk-or-Treat will be held from 5 to 6:30 p.m. Oct. 31 at Sterling Elementary School.
* The fifth annual Trunk-or-Treat event at the Tustumena Elementary School will be held from 6 to 8 p.m. Oct. 31.
* Strut Your Mutt 2007 Howl'oween Dog Costume Contest will be held at 7 p.m. Oct. 31 at the Nikiski Community Recreation Center. Dogs must be people and dog friendly and on a leash at all times. For more information, call Tammy at 776-8800.
* Kenai Boys and Girls Club will hold a Trunk-or-Treat event from 6 to 8 p.m. Oct. 31. For more information or to donate candy, call Kimberli Dent at 283-2682.
Peninsula Clarion © 2015. All Rights Reserved. | Contact Us