Carbon monoxide is the silent killer. It is odorless, invisible and can kill a person in minutes.
The following are tips from experts on avoiding CO dangers: d Don’t idle the car in the garage. Fumes can build up quickly.
· Don’t use a gas oven to heat the home, even for a short time.
· Don’t use a charcoal grill indoors, even in the fireplace.
· Don’t sleep in any room with an un-vented gasoline or kerosene space heater.
· Don’t use gasoline powered engines in enclosed spaces.
· Don’t ignore symptoms of headaches or flu-like symptoms, particularly if more than one person is feeling them. You could lose consciousness and die if you do nothing.
· Do outfit your home with a plug-in type CO monitor that also works on battery power in the event of a power failure.
· Do call the fire department and get out to fresh air if you suspect a CO leak in your home.
Peninsula Clarion ©2015. All Rights Reserved.