The peninsula offers as many winter activities, indoor and outdoor, as summer for youths in search of fun and adventure:
· Arcade, miniature golf -- The Short Stop, 43750 Kalifornsky Beach Road, Soldotna, 262-5112.
· Bowling -- Alaskalanes Family Bowling Center, Kenai, 283-3314.
· Movie theaters -- Kambe Theatre, Kenai, 283-4554 and Orca Theatre, Soldotna, 262-7003.
· Kenai Recreation Teen Center -- For kids ages 13 to 18. The center offers a variety of activities for youths.
The center is at 227 Caviar St. For times, events and information, call 283-3855 or 283-7926 .
· Boys and Girls Clubs of the Kenai Peninsula -- Boys and Girls Club, Soldotna, 260-7085; Boys and Girls Club, Kenai, 283-2682; Boys and Girls Club, Nikiski, 776-2646.
· Nikiski Community Recreation Center -- For more information, times and events, call 776-8800.
· Libraries -- Are an fun way to pass the time and have an adventure without going out in the cold: Kasilof Public Library, 252-1120; Kenai Community Library, 283-4378; Ninilchik Community Library, 567-3333; and Soldotna Public Library, 262-4227.
· Swimming pools-- Outside the water may be frozen solid but inside the water is just right liquid: Kenai Central High School, 283-7476; Nikiski and North Peninsula Recreation Area, 776-8800; Ninilchik School, 567-3301; Soldotna High School, 262-7419; and Skyview High School, 262-7675.
· Museums and art centers -- Kenai Fine Arts Center, Kenai 283-7040; and Kenai Convention and Visitors Bureau, Kenai, 283-1991.
· Skiing, snowshoeing -- Bundle up and change out your tennis shoes for skis or snowshoes and take in the beauty of the winter wonderland on the Tsalteshi Trails in Soldotna. For trail conditions, trail maps and complete information, visit www.tsalteshi.org.
These trails are maintained by the Tsalteshi Trail Association, 262-6257.
The Kenai Golf Course becomes a ski area in winter, and Nikiski boasts ski trails, as well, at the Nikiski Pool and at Nikiski Middle-Senior High School.
· The Kenai National Wildlife Refuge -- The headquarters information center is on Ski Hill Road in Soldotna and has educational displays, occasional interpretive programs and miles of ski and snowshoe trails.
For more information, call 262-7021.
Peninsula Clarion ©2015. All Rights Reserved.