Fire rips through Kenai home

Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2003

Fire swept through a single-family home in Kenai on Thursday afternoon, destroying half of the building and all of its contents.

No one was injured in the fire, however, three pet cats were found dead in the home and a family dog escaped injury.

The house, owned by Carol Tolly, was fully engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived at 4:08 p.m., according to Kenai Fire Marshal James Baisden.

A male teen was alone in the house at the time and reportedly attempted to extinguish the blaze, which started in the garage.

Baisden said the garage had been converted into living quarters, and the probable source of the fire was smoking materials. Smoke detectors weren't a factor in the fire, he said.

"We will be classifying this as an accidental fire," Baisden said Friday.

Because the occupant tried to put the fire out himself and called other parties initially instead of 911, the fire quickly got out of control. More than half of the three-bedroom house was destroyed and most will likely be considered a total loss, Baisden said.

In case of any fire, Baisden urges people to call 911 first.

"Get out and close the doors behind you. It helps compartmentize the fire. And remember not to open doors and windows, it slows down the spread of fire and smoke."

The Kenai Fire Department responded with one engine, its ladder truck and a rescue unit. Firefighters had the fire out by 4:32 p.m.

Nikiski Fire Department also responded to the fire with one engine.



CONTACT US

  • Switchboard: 907-283-7551
  • Circulation and Delivery: 907-283-3584
  • Newsroom Fax: 907-283-3299
  • Business Fax: 907-283-3299
  • Accounts Receivable: 907-335-1257
  • View the Staff Directory
  • or Send feedback

ADVERTISING

SUBSCRIBER SERVICES

SOCIAL NETWORKING

MORRIS ALASKA NEWS