Heros

Posted: Monday, October 31, 2005

Project helpers get stamp of approval

Restoration of Soldotna's first post office, 1949-51, is now complete after a busy summer of work. Our first post office was in the homestead cabin of Howard and Maxine Lee at the bus loading area at Soldotna Elementary School.

The project was made possible by a Rasmuson Foundation grant in the amount of $22,800. But in order to qualify for that amount and the total construction budget, members of the community came to our aid and generously opened their wallets and hearts to us.

I would like to thank our board members for personal contributions and donations from the Soldotna Rotary Club, Blazy Construction, Soldotna VFW, George and Mary Ford, Sherman Signs, an anonymous donor and a city of Soldotna mini grant.

We are indebted to Bob Holt of Holt Construction for his generous bid and the donations he made beyond his contract. Those subcontractors to the Holt Construction bid who partially donated their services were Hanson Roofing, Viking Construction, Tri City's Construction and Ike Morgan Painting. Thanks also to Sam Combs, historic architect, for being available for technical advice. We appreciate all the donations and the Rasmuson Foundation for deeming our project worthy of their financial aid in preserving local history.

It is our intent to save Soldotna's history through this restoration and maintaining other buildings and collections at our homestead village on Centennial Park Road. The old post office will be furnished this winter and open for visitation next summer. Please come and visit us to learn about the history of Soldotna.

Barbara Jewell, Chair Old Post Office Restoration Project, Soldotna Historical Society

ILC receives grant

The Independent Living Center announced that it has received a community grant of $719.27 from the Fred Meyer Foundation for its TALENTS (Training and Life-skills Education to Nurture Transitioning Students) program.

The grant will be used to help students enrolled in the program purchase clothing and grooming supplies to participate in the vocational program.

The foundation's community grant program is driven by 29 area advisory committees made up of Fred Meyer employees who research nonprofit organizations and then award the grants.

The grants are the result of community efforts involving the employees through their annual employee giving campaign and through Fred Meyer customers through the contributions made in stores using the Make Change Count coin boxes and scan cards at the checkstands. The money collected is allocated by the advisory committees as community grants.

The Fred Meyer Foundation assists nonprofit organizations dedicated to helping children and reducing hunger in communities served by 129 Fred Meyer stores in Alaska, Idaho, Oregon and Washington. The Fred Meyer Foundation has awarded grants totaling approximately $4.5 million since it began in December 1998.



CONTACT US

  • Switchboard: 907-283-7551
  • Circulation and Delivery: 907-283-3584
  • Newsroom Fax: 907-283-3299
  • Business Fax: 907-283-3299
  • Accounts Receivable: 907-335-1257
  • View the Staff Directory
  • or Send feedback

ADVERTISING

SUBSCRIBER SERVICES

SOCIAL NETWORKING

MORRIS ALASKA NEWS