Salcha man killed in fire

Posted: Thursday, November 09, 2000

FAIRBANKS (AP) -- A Salcha man was killed in a house fire Wednesday night, Alaska State Troopers said.

Bud Gene Owings, 64, called North Pole fire dispatchers shortly before 10 p.m. to report a fire at his home on the Richardson Highway.

The dispatcher told Owings to get out of the house and he assured the dispatcher that he was on his way out. But when firefighters arrived, they found Owings dead in the house. Troopers say it's not yet known if Owings died of a heart attack or smoke inhalation.

An initial investigation found that the fire broke out in the chimney of the woodstove. Firefighters described the fire as relatively small with no sign of fire in the main living area of the home.

The fire remains under investigation.



CONTACT US

  • Switchboard: 907-283-7551
  • Circulation and Delivery: 907-283-3584
  • Newsroom Fax: 907-283-3299
  • Business Fax: 907-283-3299
  • Accounts Receivable: 907-335-1257
  • View the Staff Directory
  • or Send feedback

ADVERTISING

SUBSCRIBER SERVICES

SOCIAL NETWORKING

MORRIS ALASKA NEWS