Fire at Nome hospital forces evacuation

Posted: Monday, November 12, 2001

NOME (AP) -- A fire at Norton Sound Regional Hospital Friday night forced the evacuation of the building.

The fire, reported shortly after 8 p.m., broke out on the west side of the hospital complex, near a long-term care center for elders, KNOM radio reported.

As firefighters contained the blaze, patients, elder residents and hospital workers were evacuated across the street to health corporation offices. No injuries were reported.

Joe Cladouhos, Norton Sound Corp. president, said the fire apparently was caused by faulty wiring that came into contact with heat tape underneath the pharmacy area.

Cladouhos estimated the damage at $50,000. He said people were allowed back into the building, which had no significant internal damage beside burned insulation and metal sheeting.

Subscribe to Peninsula Clarion

Trending this week:


© 2018. All Rights Reserved. | Contact Us