Ask a Trooper

Posted: Monday, November 12, 2001

Question: What should I do if I hit a moose, but my car has only minor damage and the moose walks away from the scene?

Answer: Even under those conditions, it is still best to notify the police or troopers. Under A.S. 28.35.080(a), you are required to immediately notify the police or troopers if you are involved in an accident resulting in a fatality or injury to any of the people in involved.

The same statute states you also must immediately report the accident if there is more than $2,000 in total property damage, which isn't much with today's expensive car parts.

In the conditions you describe, however, it is still best to notify police because the moose may have received internal injuries and only walked a short distance before it laid down to die.

If this is the case, the responding officer will track the moose, and if it is dead or dying, a charity will be called to come collect the edible meat. If you don't call, the moose may go to waste.

In addition, if you file any type of insurance claim, your insurance company will probably require that you notify the police or troopers of the collision.

This will be my last column as I am being transferred to Nome. The column is being taken over by Sgt. Brandon Anderson of Seward. I have enjoyed all of your questions. Keep them coming!

If you have questions you would like to ask a trooper, send them to Alaska State Troopers, P.O. Box 817, Seward, AK 99664 or e-mail them to Brandon_

The Alaska State Troopers remind you to always wear your seat belt. It's the law.

Subscribe to Peninsula Clarion

Trending this week:


© 2018. All Rights Reserved. | Contact Us