IRS seeks Alaska tax refund recipients

Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2002

JUNEAU (AP) -- The Internal Revenue Service owes 409 Alaskans a total of more than $273,000 in undelivered tax refunds, the agency announced Wednesday.

The IRS said it can reissue refund checks when taxpayers update their addresses.

Taxpayers can check for undelivered refunds in the ''Where's My Refund?'' section of the IRS Web site at First they must enter their Social Security number, filing status and the amount of the refund shown on their 2001 tax return.

''We want to get this money back to where it belongs,'' said IRS Acting Commissioner Bob Wenzel. ''It's a simple process. As soon as taxpayers get us their correct addresses, we can reissue the checks.''

Refund checks often go astray because of an address change, according to the IRS. If taxpayers move or change their address and fail to notify the IRS or the U.S. Postal Service, a check sent to their last known address is returned to the agency.

Subscribe to Peninsula Clarion

Trending this week:


© 2018. All Rights Reserved. | Contact Us