KMS seeks volunteers
Kenai Middle School's sixth grade staff needs hundreds of bows made for their annual Christmas swag fundraiser. School families willing to help make bows at home before the Thanksgiving break are asked to call the school at 283-4896.
The school will provide volunteers with ribbon and a bow maker and instructions on how to make a bow.
Homeless vigil Thursday
Covenant House Alaska's annual candlelight vigil to bring awareness to homeless and at risk youth will be held from 8 to 9 p.m. Thursday in the parking lot of Our Lady of Perpetual Help Catholic Church. Gloves, hats, and socks will be collected for homeless youth. After the vigil hot chocolate and cookies will be served. For more information, call Marlys at 262-5542.
Tsalteshi Trails ski event set
Tsalteshi Trails Association will hold its winter kickoff event from 4 to 5 p.m. Friday at Skyview High School. Registration will be held from 3 to 3:45 p.m. in the school's commons. It will be an orienteering race. Chili and cornbread will be served and prizes will be awarded. For more information, call 262-7740.
Mushrooms to be discussed
The Kenai Peninsula Mycological Society will meet from 7 to 9 p.m. Friday at Naptown Cafe. The topics will be how to identify, cook and cultivate mushrooms found in Alaska with an emphasis on mushrooms found on the peninsula. Meetings and field trips are open to the public. For information call 262-1927.
Coping with the holidays to be discussed
Hospice of the Central Peninsula will hold a no host dinner at 6 p.m. Saturday at Froso's Restaurant. Tips on coping with the holidays will be discussed. This is an opportunity to gather and fellowship with others experiencing grief. For more information and to register please call Gail at 262-0497
Youth snowmachine safety event set
Safe Kids Kenai Peninsula will hold a free snowmachine safety event Saturday at Soldotna Middle School. Youth ages 6 to 9 may attend from 9 to 11 a.m. and youth ages 10 to 14 may attend noon to 2 p.m. Course length is one and a half hours and families may attend anytime during their child's age group.
Youth DOT full face helmets may be purchased fro $25 after attending the safety stations. For more information, call 714-4539.
Church bazaar set
The Lutheran Women's Missionary League and Thrivent Financial for Lutherans annual bazaar will be held from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday at Star of the North Lutheran Church at 216 N. Forest Drive in Kenai. Handmade crafts and baked goods will be offered. For more information, call 262-1352.
Peaceful people to meet
People for Peace and Justice will host a screening of "Ghosts of Abu Ghraib" at 7 p.m. Tuesday at the Kenai River Center on Funny River Road in Soldotna.
The film probes the psychology of how Americans came to commit atrocities, and explores the policy decisions that eroded compliance with the Geneva Convention. For mature audiences, due to the film's intensity and graphic content. For more information, call Mary Jo Spotts, 262-5447.
Chamber announces Christmas celebration
The Kenai Chamber of Commerce's annual Christmas Comes to Kenai celebration will be held Nov. 23.
* Santa will arrive aboard a city of Kenai fire truck at 11:30 a.m. at the Kenai Visitor and Cultural Center. He will available for photos and cocoa and cookies will be available.
* The Electric Light Parade will begin at 6 p.m. The route will begin at the Uptown Motel and end in the chamber parking lot. A bonfire next to the chamber cabin will be lit after the parade.
* Fireworks will begin at 7:30 p.m.
For parade entry forms, call 283-7989.
School district committee members needed
The Kenai Peninsula Borough School District Board of Education is soliciting members of the community interested in participating in the review of board bylaws and protocols.
Specifically, three temporary subcommittees (conduct and ethics, structure, and accountability) have been formed to look at how the board of education conducts its business. The meetings will be held at 5:30 p.m. each evening prior to regular school board meetings, beginning Jan. 14 and are expected to be completed by the spring.
The following information may be sent via e-mail to Sally Tachick at email@example.com, by calling 714-8836, or in person at the school district office: name, contact information (including e-mail address, phone number and mailing address), reason for wishing to participate, and subcommittee interest.
The deadline to apply is 4 p.m. Dec. 14.
Soroptimists offer scholarship, grant, awards
Soroptimist International of the Kenai Peninsula are offering the following scholarships:
* Women of Opportunity Eligible applicants must be women who provide primary financial support for their families and who are enrolled in school or have been accepted to a vocational skills training program or an undergraduate degree program. The purpose of the award to assist women in overcoming personal difficulties and bettering their lives through education and skills training. A $500 cash grant to the winner, who then becomes eligible to receive region level awards.
Applications are available at Kenai Peninsula College, Kenai and Soldotna libraries, LeeShore Center or by calling Carole at 262-1997 or Kim at 252-8790. Deadline is Dec. 1.
* Violet Richardson Award Women ages 14 to 17 who volunteer in the community or at school may apply. The award is a $200 scholarship, plus a $200 award for the winner's volunteer agency.
Applications are available at area schools or by calling Carole at 262-1997 or Kim at 252-8790. Deadline is Dec. 1.
* Making a Difference Award This award is designed to honor women in the community who are working to improve the lives of women and girls through their personal or volunteer lives. Deadline for nominations is Dec. 1. Nomination forms are available by calling, Carole at 262-1997 or Kim at 252-8790.
© 2018. All Rights Reserved. | Contact Us