In conjunction with the Great American Smoke Out, the Peninsula Smoke-free Partnership's Teen Leadership group will distribute Adopt-A-Smoker survival bags free of charge from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday and from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Wednesday at Central Peninsula Hospital. The Smoke Out is one day a year set aside by the American Cancer Society to encourage smoker's to quit using tobacco for a day. Quit kits are also available at Bridges Community Resource Network office, next to the Acapulco Restaurant in Soldotna. For more information, contact Jennifer Olendorff at 260-3682.
Kaleidoscope School of Arts and Science will hold its annual holiday extravaganza from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday at 549 N. Forest Drive in Kenai. A craft and activity table will be set up for kids. A variety of area vendors will have products available for purchase. For more information, call Pako Whannell at 252-3508 or Krista Pitsch at 283-3892.
The National Family Caregivers Support Program will hold the following meetings:
* Saturday -- Caregiver Appreciation Day from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Soldotna Senior Citizens Center. Workshops, food, prizes and information are planned.
* Monday -- caregiver training from 1 to 3 p.m. at Kenai Senior Citizens Center. The topic will be "Staying Active with Alzheimer's Patients" Julie Beatty of Alzheimer's Resource of Alaska will be the featured speaker.
* Tuesday -- caregiver peer support meeting from 1 to 2 p.m. at Sterling Senior Center.
Peninsula Take a Break will host its annual country fair fundraiser and brunch from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Wednesday at Solid Rock Conference Center, Mile 90.5 Sterling Highway. Participants are asked to bring homemade arts, crafts, wearables and homemade foods to donate. Silent and outcry auctions will be held. Live music will be provided by Stefanie Bouchard. The featured speaker will be Marilyn Lee. Cost is $12 per person with complimentary nursery provided. Reservations and cancellations are required by Sunday. For more information, call Cindy at 260-6262 or Carolyn at 262-4214 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Kenai River Rotary Club will hold its third annual dinner event to support literacy programs on the Kenai Peninsula at 6:30 p.m. Saturday at the Soldotna Sports Center. The theme will be "From Central America with Fun" with food, entertainment and music showcasing the flavors and traditions of the Central American cultures. Tickets are on sale for $25 per adult, $15 for children under 11 years old or $60 per family. For more information, call Al Kline at 395-3901.
The Cooperative Extension Service and the Kenai Peninsula Food Bank will offer holiday nutrition classes from 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. every Tuesday now through Dec. 16, at the Fireweed Diner in the Food Bank building, 33955 Community College Drive in Soldotna. For more information, stop by the Food Bank or call 262-3111.
The following companies are hosting food drives to benefit the Kenai Peninsula Food Bank:
* Peninsula Health Center's drive will be held Monday through Nov. 21. In exchange for a 25-pound food donation, participants will get a chiropractic examination and treatment. (Limit one per person.) Call the center to participate and make an appointment at 260-4844. The general public is invited to participate in the food drive without an appointment at 33870 Polar St. in Soldotna.
* GCI's drive will be held through the end of the month. Participants who bring in three cans will get a discount on their cable installation. GCI, at 44661 Sterling Highway Suite E in Soldotna, is open Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Saturday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. For more information, call Denise at 262-0623.
© 2017. All Rights Reserved. | Contact Us