Chambers set schedules
· Nikiski Chamber of Commerce will host speakers Brian Hawkins and Emma Watson from NASA at noon today at Nikiski Fire Station No. 1 at Mile 17.9 of the Kenai Spur Highway. There will be no meeting Nov. 23 because of the holiday. For more information, call Judene Van Cleave at 776-5551.
· The Soldotna Chamber of Commerce will host Curtis Thayer of Enstar at noon Tuesday at Froso’s Restaurant. For more information, call 262-9814.
· The Kenai Chamber of Commerce will host central peninsula business members who will present holiday shopping ideas at noon Wednesday at Paradisos in Kenai. For more information, call Janie at 283-7989.
Hospital names philanthropy officer
Peter Brennan has been named chief philanthropy officer for the Central Peninsula Health Foundation. The Foundation was formed as a separate nonprofit (501C3) organization whose primary mission is to raise funds in support of the hospital’s mission of providing quality health care and for the community at large.
“I was primarily attracted to the wave of excitement that seemed to permeate the community about the hospital expansion project and the quality physicians already working in the area,” Brennan said.
“Since I arrived, I have witnessed tremendous leadership and passion from our medical community which is creating an environment ideal for significant philanthropic investment.”
Brennan is a veteran of the philanthropy world, coming to CPGH from eight years with the Providence Alaska Foundation.
Carpet One launches ‘star’ pet search
Four D Carpet One in conjunction with other Carpet One Floor and Home stores is holding the Muddiest Buddy contest to celebrate the relaunch of it Lees carpet brand.
All pets are eligible to be entered. Application are available online at CarpetOne.com or at Four D Carpet One at 35477 Kenai Spur Highway, Suite 103, Soldotna.
Pet owners are asked to bring a photo of their pet at its dirtiest. The contest will run through Nov. 24. Finalists will be selected and posted online in December, when national voting will take place. The final winner will be chosen in January. For more information, call 262-91841 or (800) 450-7595, ext. 2305.
Speaker planned at Anchor Point chamber
The Anchor Point Chamber of Commerce will have guest speaker Scott Watterman, manager of the state Energy Program, at its luncheon meeting at noon Nov. 29 at the Anchor River Inn. Watterman will talk about energy efficiency, renewable energy and peak oil usage in the United States. There will be no meeting Nov. 22, due to Thanksgiving holiday. For more information, contact Kathy McMurray at (907) 235-8531.
Businesses pitch in for Thanksgiving
The following local businesses and organizations are conducting food drives to benefit the Kenai Peninsula Food Bank this holiday season. Non perishable food may be dropped off at the following locations:
· GCI at 189 S. Binkley St. in Soldotna during November.
· Central Emergency Services stations through mid-December.
· The Sears store in Kenai starting Monday.
· Country Foods and Three Bears in Kenai and Save U More on Kalifornsky Beach Road until Christmas, and you may purchase gift certificates for turkeys or other perishables there.
· Alaska USA Federal Credit Union, Credit Union 1, First National Bank of Alaska, KeyBank and Wells Fargo. Ask a teller how you can donate dollars to the food bank.
For more information, contact the Kenai Peninsula Food Bank at 262-3111.
Small business center host workshop
The Small Business Development Center will host “Starting a business,” with Mark Gregory, director of University of Alaska Anchorage Small Business Development Center, from 2 to 4 p.m. Dec. 1 at its center at 43335 Kalifornsky Beach Road, Suite 12. Gregory will walk through the basic process of starting a business. There is no cost.
Participants are asked to preregister one day in advance. For more information or to preregister, call Bunny at 260-5629 or e-mail her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Holiday decorating contest begins
The Soldotna Chamber of Commerce is accepting nominations through Dec. 8 for businesses and residences that are exceptionally decorated for Christmas.
Sponsored by the Homer Electric Association, first- through third-place awards will be given in commercial and residential categories. First-place commercial wins a $100 energy credit; second- and third-place commercial win $50 energy credits; first-place residential receives a $50 energy credit; and second- and third-place residential receive $25 energy credits.
Winners will be announced at the Dec. 12 chamber luncheon.
Nominations, including name, address and phone number, should be submitted to the chamber by calling 262-9814 or by e-mail to email@example.com.
Peninsula Clarion ©2014. All Rights Reserved.