Chambers set schedules
· Nikiski Chamber of Commerce will not meet due to the Thanksgiving holiday. For more information, call Judene Van Cleave at 776-5551.
· The Soldotna Chamber of Commerce will host Students of the Month at noon Tuesday at Froso’s Restaurant. For more information, call 262-9814.
· The Kenai Chamber of Commerce will meet at noon Wednesday at Paradisos in Kenai. For more information, call Janie at 283-7989.
The Kenai chamber also is seeking nominees for its 2007 board of directors.
Kenai businesses launch shopping season
The Kenai Chamber of Commerce and area business will host a variety of events to kick off the Christmas shopping season (specials are good for Friday and Saturday only):
· Christmas Comes to Kenai 11:30 a.m. Santa arrives at he Kenai Visitors Center; 6 p.m. the Electric Light Parade begins and at 7:30 p.m. fireworks begin.
· Bundt cake contest Allen and Peterson Cooking and Appliance Center will host a bundt cake contest from noon to 4 p.m. Saturday at its Kenai store. Cakes may be delivered for judging between 10 a.m. and noon.
Judging will be done by customers and the winner will be announce at 5 p.m. Prizes will be awarded.
· Already Read Books Christmas paperbacks and hot drinks available at a special price Friday and Saturday.
· Fireweed Herb garden and Gifts Free cookies Friday and Saturday; and book signing with Grannie Annie from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday.
· Home Depot Christmas garden and building projects available for children from 9 a.m. to noon.
· Kenai Fine Arts Center craft fair Friday and Saturday at Kenai Central High School.
· Kenai Visitors and Cultural Center Draw your own discount Saturday.
· Partyin’ Place Balloon savings available.
· The Salvation Army angel tree will be placed the Kenai Safeway store.
Santa comes to Soldotna
Peninsula Center Mall merchants will host Santa at the following times through Christmas: from 1 to 5 p.m. Friday, Saturday and Sunday, Dec. 2, 3, 9,10, 16, 17, 19, 21, 23 and 24.
Photos will be available and profits will be donated to Love, INC.
Carpet One launches ‘star’ pet search
Four D Carpet One in conjunction with other Carpet One Floor and Home stores is holding the Muddiest Buddy contest to celebrate the relaunch of it Lees carpet brand.
All pets are eligible to be entered. Application are available online at CarpetOne.com or at Four D Carpet One at 35477 Kenai Spur Highway, Suite 103, Soldotna.
Pet owners are asked to bring a photo of their pet at its dirtiest. The contest will run through Friday. Finalists will be selected and posted online in December, when national voting will take place. The final winner will be chosen in January. For more information, call 262-91841 or (800) 450-7595, ext. 2305.
Businesses pitch in for Thanksgiving
The following local businesses and organizations are conducting food drives to benefit the Kenai Peninsula Food Bank this holiday season. Non perishable food may be dropped off at the following locations:
· GCI at 189 S. Binkley St. in Soldotna during November.
· All three Central Emergency Services stations through mid-December.
· The Sears store in Kenai.
· Country Foods and Three Bears in Kenai and Save U More on Kalifornsky Beach Road until Christmas, and you may purchase gift certificates for turkeys or other perishables there.
· Alaska USA Federal Credit Union, Credit Union 1, First National Bank of Alaska, KeyBank and Wells Fargo. Ask a teller how you can donate dollars to the food bank.
For more information, call the Kenai Peninsula Food Bank at 262-3111.
Small business center hosts workshop
The Small Business Development Center will host “Starting a business,” with Mark Gregory, director of University of Alaska Anchorage Small Business Development Center, from 2 to 4 p.m. Dec. 1 at its center at 43335 Kalifornsky Beach Road, Suite 12. Gregory will walk through the basic process of starting a business. There is no cost.
Participants are asked to preregister one day in advance. For more information or to preregister, call Bunny at 260-5629 or e-mail her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Holiday decorating contest begins
The Soldotna Chamber of Commerce is accepting nominations through Dec. 8 for businesses and residences that are exceptionally decorated for Christmas.
Sponsored by the Homer Electric Association, first- through third-place awards will be given in commercial and residential categories. First-place commercial wins a $100 energy credit; second- and third-place commercial win $50 energy credits; first-place residential receives a $50 energy credit; and second- and third-place residential receive $25 energy credits.
Winners will be announced at the Dec. 12 chamber luncheon.
Nominations, including name, address and phone number, should be submitted to the chamber by calling 262-9814 or by e-mail to email@example.com.
JA seeks volunteers
Junior Achievement of the Peninsula is seeking volunteer instructors for its upcoming classes in March. Volunteers will go into area classes and teach business, economics and free enterprise. For more information, call Febra Hensley at 398-7173.
Smith, Brenton honored
The Kenai Peninsula Builders Association named Nichole Smith with Southcentral Title Agency as its 2006 Associate of the Year and Jim Brenton with Builders Unlimited as its 2006 Builder of the Year.
Jackson named as CEO of Era
The Era Aviation, Inc. Board of Directors announced today that it has selected W. Stephen Jackson as CEO and appointed him as a member of Era’s Board of Directors.
Former CEO Paul Landis intends to continue with the company in the role of President and COO to ensure a smooth operational transition.
Jackson has been an officer of several public and private airlines including Mesa Air Group, Inc., Reno Air, Inc. and Hawaiian Airlines, Inc. Prior to that he was a partner with KPMG. A former resident of Anchorage, Jackson has been working as a consultant to Era Aviation since January.
“Steve Jackson has been a great financial asset to Era over the past several months and we are delighted to have him on board to help take the company to new levels,” said Landis.
Peninsula Clarion ©2015. All Rights Reserved.