Golden Eagles take Alaska Shootout title

Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2001

ANCHORAGE, Alaska -- David Diggs scored 15 points, hitting all five of his 3-point shots, to spark Marquette to a 72-63 victory over Gonzaga to win the Great Alaska Shootout.

Diggs, who had scored only 15 points total in Marquette's first two games, came off the bench to match that in the championship.

Gonzaga (3-2) led most of the first half behind Zach Gourde, who hit all six of his first-half shots.

Two 3-point shots by Travis Diener gave Marquette its first lead with 3:40 remaining in the first half. A layup by Scott Merritt on a feed from Diener extended the lead to 37-31 at the half.

The Bulldogs scored the first six points of the second half to tie the score 37-37.

But two baskets by Oluoma Nnamaka and a 3-pointer by Diggs put Marquette up 44-38 and Gonzaga could get no closer than three the rest of the game.

Diener scored 14 points, dished out seven assists, and together with Cordell Henry, held standout Gonzaga guard Dan Dickau to 10 points.

Dwyane Wade was named the tournament's outstanding player and had 13 points, seven rebounds and five assists in the final.

Gourde led Gonzaga with 15 points and six rebounds.

No. 20 Indiana 77, Texas 71

ANCHORAGE, Alaska -- Dane Fife's fouls put him on the bench for most of the game. But he returned just in time to rescue No. 20 Indiana from its second defeat in as many days.

Fife returned with barely more than four minutes left to hit two critical 3-pointers and a free throw and Indiana beat Texas 77-71 Saturday night to take third place in the Great Alaska Shootout.

''I need guys I can trust and who play hard,'' Indiana coach Mike Davis said. ''Fife was great, having 17 points in 17 minutes.''


Gonzaga's Ronny Turiaf, center, dunks over Marquette's Oluoma Nnamaka, left, and Scott Merritt, right, and Gonzaga's Cory Violette, bottom, right, during the first half of the championship game of the Great Alaska Shootout in Anchorage, Alaska, Saturday, Nov. 24, 2001.

AP Photo/Al Grillo

Indiana (3-1) fell to Marquette 50-49 Friday in the semifinals of the tournament and nearly blew a 13-point first-half lead.

Fife sat out nearly eight minutes of the first half after committing an offensive foul and getting into a shoving match with the Longhorns' Royal Ivey and T.J. Ford. Fife and Ford were assessed technical fouls.

Two minutes into the second half, Fife committed his fourth foul and headed back to the bench.

Texas' Chris Owens, scoreless in the first half, opened the second with eight points in four minutes and Texas led 47-45 when Ivey hit a 3-pointer with 15 minutes remaining.

The next 12 minutes featured 10 lead changes until Fife returned with four minutes left.

On Indiana's first possession, he hit a 3-pointer that tied the game 63-63. After a miss by Owens, Fife rebounded and was fouled. He hit the first of two free throws and gave Indiana the lead for good.

Texas closed to 70-65 on a put-back by Brian Boddicker. With the shot clock about to expire, Fife hit a 3-pointer from the base line to put the Hoosiers up 73-65 with a minute remaining.

''We broke down defensively down the stretch,'' Texas coach Rick Barnes said. ''Five plays at the end was the difference, especially Fife getting that open look.''

Davis shook up the Hoosier's starting lineup and inserted Donald Perry, A.J. Moye and George Leach for Tom Coverdale, Kyle Hornsby and Jeff Newton.

''This was the best game of the season for us,'' Davis said. ''I needed guys who would give more effort. It was time for us to have a good game.''

Jared Jeffries led Indiana with 22 points on 7-of-18 shooting, including 4-of-6 from 3-point range.

''I showed him his shots,'' Davis said. ''He had nine and 10 the previous games. He needs 18 a game if he's going to carry the load for us.''

In the first half, Texas scored the first basket before Indiana went on to build a 13-point lead behind Jeffries.

Texas closed to 28-25 with a 15-5 run fueled by Ford's six points before Indiana built the lead back to seven at halftime.

Ford led the Longhorns with 16 points and eight assists. Owens scored 14, all in the second half.

In the fifth-place game, St. John's defeated Tennessee 69-55, while Oregon State took seventh place at the tournament with a 72-63 victory over the University of Alaska Anchorage.

Subscribe to Peninsula Clarion

Trending this week:


© 2018. All Rights Reserved. | Contact Us