Micmacs light up Thunder to stay perfect

Posted: Monday, December 01, 2003

It's been a fun season for the Peninsula Micmacs.

Ian Tracy scored six goals in two games to lead the Micmacs to a pair of 7-5 wins over the Mat-Su Thunder this weekend at the Soldotna Sports Center.

Tracy followed up a four-goal performance Friday with two more scores Saturday, as the Micmacs downed the Thunder for the fourth time this season. Following Saturday's game, the scrappy forward dismissed his big weekend as just a nice way to spend a holiday weekend on the ice.

"I just show up because it's a good time," Tracy said.

Tracy and his teammates have been having a lot of fun this year. The two victories pushed Peninsula's record to 6-0 on the season, something head coach Rick Richardson said won't make things any easier as the season wears on.

"The whole of Anchorage wants us now," Richardson said following Saturday's win. "One of these weekends we're going to run into trouble."

Anyone wishing to tangle with the Micmacs' lineup of local hockey talent will have to bring more than confidence, a lesson the Thunder learned well over the weekend.

In Friday night's game, Tracy broke open a 4-4 game when he exploded for two goals in twenty seconds midway through the third period to seal the victory for the Micmacs. Also lighting the lamp for Peninsula Friday were forwards Eric Downs, Mike Brown and Brett Hass. Jess Richardson had three assists.

Things briefly looked better for Mat-Su Saturday, after Thunder forward Trent Schachle snuck a wrist shot past Peninsula goalie Carl Glick's outstretched glove to open the scoring with 12:15 left in the first period. The goal came after several scoring chances by the Thunder were thwarted by Glick's quick reflexes.

After several more close calls by Mat-Su, Peninsula struck back for a score of its own when defenseman Jeremy Love started a 3-on-1 break with a nifty clear out of his own zone. Love got the puck up to forward Wayne Maxwell, who then shuttled it over to Blane Johnson. Johnson faked left before sliding the puck neatly beneath the glove of Mat-Su goalie Chris Faeo.

The Micmacs would not trail from that point on in the game.

Tracy gave Peninsula a 2-1 lead with 5:50 left in the period when he beat Faeo with an unassisted slap shot from the point.

The Micmacs then went up 3-1 less than two minutes later when Hass got control of a loose puck in front of the Mat-Su goal and slipped it between Faeo's legs.

Mat-Su pulled to within one goal when Daryl McKenzie rocketed a clean slap shot past Glick from between the face-off circles, but the Thunder would get no closer.

The game remained 3-2 until Brandon Fortney broke away from the Mat-Su defense with just over four minutes left in the period. Fortney's goal opened the floodgates for the Micmacs, as his goal was followed by two more from Downs and Tracy to put the game away.

Mat-Su managed to fight back somewhat in the third period, scoring three times on goalie Kenny Bishop who replaced Glick midway through the second but Fortney's second goal of the game ended any hope of a Thunder comeback.

The loss spoiled a fine effort from Schachle, who scored three goals in the two games.

The big forward said after the game that he wasn't too disappointed with the two losses, as he felt his team played competitive hockey and more importantly, had a good road trip to the Peninsula.

"It was pretty fun," Schachle said. "We just came down here to have a good time, and we did."

Peninsula goalie Bishop finished the game with 15 saves on 18 shots, while Glick stopped 12 of the 14 shots he faced. Faeo had 27 saves on 34 Peninsula shots.

Next up on the schedule for the Micmacs is Mi/Swaco of Anchorage, who Peninsula beat in its season opener earlier this year. The action gets underway at 7:30 p.m. Dec. 19 at the Sports Center.

Subscribe to Peninsula Clarion

Trending this week:


© 2018. All Rights Reserved. | Contact Us