Sports Briefs

Posted: Sunday, December 02, 2001

Wisconsin ties Alaska Anchorage

ANCHORAGE -- Matt Hussey scored a pair of second-period goals and Wisconsin came back to tie Alaska Anchorage 3-3 Saturday night in Western Collegiate Hockey Association action.

The Seawolves (3-8-3, 2-6-2 WCHA) took a two-goal lead but could not hang on for a weekend sweep. The Seawolves defeated Wisconsin 4-1 Friday night.

Dallas Steward opened scoring for Alaska Anchorage 34 seconds into the first period when he redirected a shot by Eric Lawson.

The Badgers (6-7-1, 4-3-1 WCHA) answered with a goal by Alex Leavitt at 14:38 on a two-on-one break with Kent Davyduke.

Steve Cygan gave Alaska Anchorage the lead again with a goal at 4:14 of the second period when he used his glove to knock down a pass from Mike Scott and fired the puck past Badger goalie Scott Kabotoff.

With a defender draped over him, Dan Gilkerson give the Seawolves a two-goal lead at 7:49 with a backhand shot on a pass from Morgan Roach.

But Hussey, skating left and shooting right, scored an unassisted goal over the shoulder of Alaska Anchorage goalie Chris King at 12:18.

Two minutes later, he slapped another shot over the shoulder of King. Davyduke and Brad Winchester assisted.

Neither team scored in the third period or the five-minute overtime.

Kabotoff stopped 20 shots for Wisconsin. King had 16 saves for the Seawolves.

McCline beats Whitaker; Oquendo defeats Izon

NEW YORK -- Jameel McCline took another step into the heavyweight championship picture Saturday night by scoring a 12-round unanimous decision over Lance Whitaker

McCline came very close to ending it in the 10th round, but Whitaker was able to last, and in fact held his own in the final two rounds.

Earlier Saturday, heavyweight David Izon lost to unbeaten Fres Oquendo.

''I took this fight because I was tired of waiting,'' said Izon, who during a 13-month layoff had two fights with Mike Tyson and another with Hasim Rahman, at the time the IBF and WBC champion, fall through.

The 6-foot-8, 251 1/2-pound Whitaker, was introduced as Goofi, a name he wants to go by. At the end of the 10th round, in which he was in deep trouble, the fans started chanting ''Goofi's done! Goofi's done!''

In that 10th round, the 6-6, 261-pound McCline hurt Whitaker with a right hand and then unleashed a barrage that had Whitaker stumbling about the ring before he was able to clinch.

McCline was ahead on all three scorecards, 116-112, 114-113, and 115-113.

The AP scored it 116-112 for McCline.

The two big men fought at a fast pace in the first five rounds, but then -- not surprisingly -- the pace slowed. But the fight never turned dull.

At the end of the 11th round, Whitaker's corner told him, ''We're down. This is the last round. If you don't knock this guy out, you won't win.''

McCline, who knocked down Michael Grant with the first punch 43 seconds into his previous fight, landed 151 of 421 punches while Whitaker was credited with 96 of 529.

''He wants to be called, Goofi,'' McCline said, ''I'll call him Goofi. They made a big deal out of this guy, like he was a better fighter -- Goofi this, Goofi that.

''He went on a whirlwind tour while I was in the gym getting it right.''

McCline, 31 of Newark, N.J., is sure to become a top 10 contender with the victory which boosted his record to 27-2-3 with 16 knockouts.

The 29-year-old Whitaker of Van Nuys, Calif., went into the fight ranked fifth by the WBA and sixth by both the WBC and IBF. His record is 22-2 with 17 knockouts.

Oquendo knocked Izon out with six seconds left in the third round of the scheduled 10-round fight.

''I'm the future,'' said Oquendo (22-0, 13 knockouts) of Puerto Rico. ''I knew Izon was one of the best coming into the fight. He gave me the opportunity, and I thank him.''

Izon was supposed to challenge WBO champion Wladimir Klitschko of Germany, but Klitschko withdrew after injuring a shoulder and was replaced by Oquendo.

It had to be a disappointing loss for the 33-year-old Izon, a native of Nigeria living in Pensacola, Fla. It was his first fight in 13 months, 15 days.

Oquendo, ranked fourth by the WBC and fifth by the IBF, controlled the fight with jabs, and then ended it with a two-fisted barrage that led referee Mike Ortega to halt the match.

Izon landed only nine punches in the fight while Oquendo connected with 60, 33 of them jabs.

Asked afterward if he would like to challenge Chris Byrd, the No. 1 IBF contender, Oquendo said, ''It would be a classic. I'm ready baby.''

Izon, who was ranked 10th by the WBA, is 27-4 with 23 knockouts.

Subscribe to Peninsula Clarion

Trending this week:


© 2018. All Rights Reserved. | Contact Us