Residents question long road closure after fatal accident

Posted: Friday, December 06, 2002

KENAI (AP) -- Poor weather conditions, the severity of a fatal crash and limited Alaska State Trooper staffing combined to close the Seward Highway for nearly eight hours last month, and some Kenai Peninsula residents are questioning why.

On Nov. 19, at about 12:30 p.m., a tractor-trailer truck collided with a van transporting prisoners to Seward, killing four prisoners and one guard about 20 miles north of Seward. Four other people were injured.

As troopers and emergency medical personnel attended to victims, cleared wreckage and investigated, the Seward Highway remained closed until about 8 p.m.

''I understand the seriousness of the accident, but what I'm upset about is that the troopers sent someone by to tell us -- three times -- that the road would be open in about 30 minutes,'' said Sherrie Dahlen of Kenai.

According to Dahlen, highway traffic flaggers from Foster Construction said troopers told them to tell the motorists the road would soon be opened.

''They could have secured the area and left one lane open. You can bet this wouldn't have happened in Anchorage,'' Dahlen said.

She and her husband, Dan, had gone to Seward that morning for a 15-minute errand. They saw ambulances rushing up the highway and reasoned that an accident had occurred.

''We went back into Seward and had lunch, figuring it might be an hour,'' said Sherrie Dahlen.

When the Dahlens attempted to head home, they were stopped on the highway and told the severe accident might take up to three hours to clear.

They decided to wait it out.

As time went on, they attempted to call home to let their child know they were all right, but found they were in an area where their cell phone would not work.

''Then I realized there was a house not too far away and I went there to borrow a phone. I called trooper headquarters in Seward and they said the road was open,'' Dahlen said.

''If I'd known it was going to be eight hours, I would have gone back to Seward,'' Dahlen said.

She also said a bus was allowed to pass through, around the wreck.

Soldotna Trooper Sgt. Barry Wilson said Tuesday that it would have been hazardous to emergency personnel and officers to allow cars through.

''We apologize for the delays people suffered through. I certainly feel for those people, but our concern for the victims and for the safety of the people investigating the accident outweighed our concern for (the motorists),'' Wilson said.

Wilson said the site of the accident was slush-covered and on a narrow section of highway at a blind curve.

Responding to Dahlen's comment about the incident possibly being handled differently in Anchorage, Wilson said, ''Anchorage would have 15 people doing the investigation ... we initially had three to do the investigation.

''If we were able to have more, we could investigate more quickly.

''Also, in Anchorage, they have the ability to reroute (traffic). We don't have that option,'' Wilson said.

Staffing levels were a factor in deciding to escort a school bus filled with children through the area.

''The children had already been held at school and it would have caused more delays if we had to stop our investigation to have people notify the parents of all those children that their kids were all right and weren't involved in an accident,'' he said.

Subscribe to Peninsula Clarion

Trending this week:


© 2018. All Rights Reserved. | Contact Us