CPGH executive resigns

Gilbreath to leave position in April for family health issues

Posted: Friday, December 09, 2005

David Gilbreath announced he will resign as chief executive officer of Central Peninsula General Hospital as of April 28.

During the CPGH Inc. annual meeting Thursday evening, Gilbreath told the board of directors he and his wife, Pat, decided to relocate to Washington state to be closer to her father, who is having health problems.

The problems are not expected to be resolved soon, so the Gilbreaths said they feel it is necessary to move closer to the family, David Gilbreath said.

He said the decision was “very difficult” for him and for Pat, who served as volunteer coordinator at CPGH during the three years Gilbreath has been CEO.

“We’re going to miss this place, miss this community,” he said.

“This is a tough decision, but it is the right decision.”

In a prepared statement, board President Loretta Flanders said, “ life is unpredictable and taking care of family is a priority.”

Flanders said because Gilbreath is a “high-energy professional,” the board did not expect him to be “a lifer here at CPGH, but we hoped for a bit longer than this.”

She said the board would build on Gilbreath’s accomplishments, including “his tireless efforts to promote the passage of the $49.9 million bond issue for (the) hospital expansion and subsequent work to keep the construction of the large addition to the current hospital plant on time and within budget; increased patient and employee satisfaction ratings; and establishment of a hospital foundation and a grants application program that has resulted in receiving over $6.5 million to help meet community health needs both within and outside the hospital.”

Flanders also commended Pat Gilbreath for her efforts with the hospital’s volunteer program.

“When Pat took over, there were five volunteers,” Flanders said.

“It has now grown to more than 70 volunteers, including 16 teenagers,” she said.

David Gilbreath said he would remain at CPGH through April to help the board of directors in its national search for a replacement CEO.

“From the day we first came here, it felt like home,” he told the board of directors.

“Every time I left and returned, I felt like I was coming home. Now we will have two homes,” he said.

“You can be sure we will be coming back, at least once a year — in July,” he said with a laugh.

In addition to his work at the hospital, Gilbreath served as the 2004 Kenai Peninsula United Way campaign chair, which raised more than $600,000 for peninsula agencies.

Since October 2003, he has served as chairman of the Acute Care Committee of the Alaska State Hospital and Nursing Home Association. In July 2004, he was appointed to the Alaska Medical Care Advisory Committee by the state commissioner of Health and Social Services, and for the past year, he has been president of the Alaska Healthcare Executives Network.

When asked if he has any career plans for when he arrives in Washington, he said he has not yet explored any opportunities.

Subscribe to Peninsula Clarion

Trending this week:


© 2017. All Rights Reserved. | Contact Us