Safe Kids Kenai Peninsula and Central Peninsula Hospital will hold car seat checkups from 1 to 4 p.m. today at the Kenai Fire Department and from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Thursday at Central Emergency Services Soldotna Fire Department in Soldotna, across from Safeway. For more information, call Jane B. Fellman at 714-4539 or e-mail email@example.com.
A women's barbershop chorus will meet at 7 p.m. Mondays at the Church of God in Soldotna on the corner of Binkley Street and Redoubt Avenue. For more information, call Helena at 262-4504 or Susan at 335-6789.
The Cooperative Extension Service and the Kenai Peninsula Food Bank will hold its final holiday nutrition class from 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. Tuesday at the Fireweed Diner in the food bank building at 33955 Community College Drive in Soldotna. For more information, stop by the food bank or call 262-3111.
The Kenaitze Indian Tribe will host "The Old Town Holiday Gift Shop" featuring authentic Alaska Native arts and crafts from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Friday and Saturday. For more information call, Kim Dolchok at 398-8867.
Soroptimist International of the Kenai Peninsula will hold its annual See's candy fundraiser from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday at the Peninsula Center Mall in Soldotna. Candy also is available from Lyn Hodel at Soldotna Professional Pharmacy.
The following events will be offered at the Nikiski pool and the Nikiski Community Recreation Center:
* American Red Cross lifeguard class will be held from 5 to 10 p.m. Jan. 12 through 16 and Jan. 19 through 21 at the pool. Call Nigel at 776-8800 for more information.
* The recreation center will offer arts and crafts classes from 4 to 5:15 p.m. Fridays for first- through sixth-graders. This weeks project will be candy houses, and will cost $3 per session.
* The recreation center will offer a holiday day camp from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Dec. 29, 30 and 31 for first- through sixth-graders.
Cooking, crafts and gym activities are planned. Parents are advised that a sack lunch is recommended. The cost is $5 per day.
* The recreation center will offer women's league Monday night basketball, registration deadline is Dec. 22 and the season begins Jan. 5. Call for fee amount.
* The recreation center offers; women's gym from 6 to 8 p.m. Mondays, the cost is $1; teen gym from 3 to 5 p.m. Wednesdays, the cost is $1; family gym from 1 to 3 p.m. Saturdays, the cost is $1; home-school gym from 1 to 2:30 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays, the cost is $1; full swing golf from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Friday and 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturdays, call for fee amount.; and teen center from 2:30 to 8 p.m. Monday through Friday for students ages 13 through 18 years old students, the cost is $1.
For more information, e-mail Jyll Davis firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Boys and Girls Club has five spots left for the Start Smart Basketball program for 3- to 5-year-old boys and girls. Program will be held at 9 a.m. Saturdays, Jan. 3 through Feb. 7. Parent participation is required. For more information, call 283-3318.
A.S.P.I.E.'S of Alaska support group will meet at 6:30 p.m. Jan. 5 at Kenai Public Health Department.
The featured speaker will be Sadie Updike. The topic will be on programs offered through Child Care Connections.
The group is open to the public. Call Kellie Schneider at 335-0109 for more information.
Have you had or are about to have visitors? Has a new addition to your family just arrived? Where in the world is your military person and what are they up to? Got a new graduate, dean's list student or an award-receiving youth?
Do you have a news event, activity or fundraiser you need to let the community know about? Send it to us!
E-mail your community events to email@example.com, fax it to 283-3299, drop it off at the Clarion office in Kenai at 150 Trading Bay Drive (Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.) or mail your information to us at P.O. Box 3009, Kenai AK 99611.
The Community page is a way to highlight activities and events that happen with a photo. If your group or organization has a photo of an event to share, submit the photo and the following information for print: Who took the photo, who's in it, when and where it was taken, a brief description of what's happening, and a name and phone number in case we have questions.
Deadline for information is 5 p.m. Mondays. Submissions are printed in the order they are received and as space is available. For more information, call Nan Misner at 335-1241.
Class of '79 to reunite
The Kenai Central High School class of 1979 is organizing its 30th reunion June 19 through 21, 2009, and is seeking addresses and contact information on classmates.
For more information, e-mail Sandra at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Around the Peninsula prints daily in the Clarion. For more information, call Nancianna Misner at 335-1241 or e-mail email@example.com.
Peninsula Clarion ©2015. All Rights Reserved.