Nikiski man saves house from fire

Homeowner’s actions keep flames from spreading beyond bedroom

Posted: Sunday, December 17, 2006

Quick thinking saved a Nikiski house from being consumed in flames Tuesday when its owner kept the flames sealed behind a bedroom door, said Fred Swen, Nikiski Fire Department Chief.

At 1:06 a.m. Tuesday, the Nikiski Fire Department responded to a call reporting a fire at 47825 Douglas Lane. The owner, John Wynn, noticed the fire in the single-family home when he smelled smoke and found the door to a bedroom unusually warm. Wynn cracked the bedroom door open, saw smoke, immediately reclosed the door and called 911.

“Which was one of the best things he could have done,” Swen said. “It helped save his home.”

Nikiski firefighters extinguished the fire, limiting damage to the bedroom. Other areas of the home were damaged by smoke, but the damage was minimal because Wynn kept the bedroom door shut.

Swen said house fires become more common during the winter and holiday season when people use fireplaces and decorative lighting and candles. Swen said he was pleased to see Wynn took the correct steps in responding to the fire, which Swen said had been ignited by an electric heater.

“Everything went the way that it should go,” he said. “We preach and we preach and we preach and this time everything seemed to click like clockwork.”



Related Searches

 CHIEF   DISASTER_ACCIDENT   FRED SWEN   JOHN WYNN   NIKISKI FIRE DEPARTMENT 

CONTACT US

  • Switchboard: 907-283-7551
  • Circulation and Delivery: 907-283-3584
  • Newsroom Fax: 907-283-3299
  • Business Fax: 907-283-3299
  • Accounts Receivable: 907-335-1257
  • View the Staff Directory
  • or Send feedback

ADVERTISING

SUBSCRIBER SERVICES

SOCIAL NETWORKING

MORRIS ALASKA NEWS