Landfill offers free paint & stains bring some in,take some home

Posted: Tuesday, December 19, 2006


  KPB Environmental Coordinator Lanie Hughes at the new paint recycling shed at the Central Peninsula land fill.

KPB Environmental Coordinator Lanie Hughes at the new paint recycling shed at the Central Peninsula land fill.

Since the first of November the Kenai Peninsula Borough Solid Waste Department has been offering a new Household Hazardous Waste Reuse Station at the Central Peninsula Landfill, according to Lanie Hughes, environmental coordinator for the Borough’s solid waste department. The Borough is accepting paints and stains in five gallon or smaller containers that are at least 75% full and in good condition. “The Borough started the program to reduce the costs associated with managing usable paints and stains through the hazardous waste collection program. On an annual basis the Borough pays to have about 150 drums sent away as part of its hazardous waste management at a cost of approximately $50,000. So we came up with this program to try and divert some of theses items from the hazardous waste collection program, and if we can divert just half of these materials we can save the taxpayers some $20,000 a year. In addition it gives the public a chance to get a useable product at no cost,” explained Hughes.

The program encourages the public to bring in their left over useable paints and stains to the Central Peninsula Landfill to the new Reuse Building behind the Multipurpose building rather than disposing of them on hazardous waste collection days. Anyone needing some paint or stain may come to the Reuse Building during regular operating hours 8:00am 5:45pm seven days a week and if they find a product they can use they are welcome to take it at no cost. Members of the public taking materials are required to sign a Material Acceptance Form that releases the Borough from any product use liability, “If you’re dropping materials off you just need to let the attendant know and they’ll direct you to where the building is and if you plan on taking some materials with you from the re-use program you just fill out and sign the simple form so that we can keep track of what is leaving the site,” said Hughes. Anyone with questions may call the Solid Waste Department at 262-9667.

Subscribe to Peninsula Clarion

Trending this week:


© 2018. All Rights Reserved. | Contact Us