Current weather

  • Scattered clouds
  • 54°
    Scattered clouds

Goldstream Valley home destroyed by fire

Posted: Monday, December 23, 2002

FAIRBANKS (AP) -- A fire destroyed a Goldstream Valley home Sunday afternoon, killing the occupant's two dogs.

The occupant was not home at the time, fire officials said.

The fire broke out at about 2 p.m. Two walls of the two-story frame cabin, were already engulfed when firefighters arrived on the scene.

''There was significant fire in the building, and it was knocked down relatively quickly,'' said Phil Hoffman, assistant fire chief.

The home was a total loss.

''It appears he has lost just about everything in the fire,'' Goldstream Fire Chief Eric Mohrmann said. Mohrman declined to name the resident.

Fire officials said the blaze likely started in an oil stove.

The occupant was referred to the Red Cross, Mohrmann said. Neighbors also offered assistance, he said. Hoffman said three vehicles and about 10 people responded to the blaze.



CONTACT US

  • 150 Trading Bay Rd, Kenai, AK 99611
  • Switchboard: 907-283-7551
  • Circulation and Delivery: 907-283-3584
  • Newsroom Fax: 907-283-3299
  • Business Fax: 907-283-3299
  • Accounts Receivable: 907-335-1257
  • View the Staff Directory
  • or Send feedback

ADVERTISING

SUBSCRIBER SERVICES

SOCIAL NETWORKING

MORRIS ALASKA NEWS