Pilot, eight passengers survive engine fire on flight

Posted: Sunday, December 24, 2000

FAIRBANKS (AP) -- During a half-hour flight Thursday between Huslia and Galena, Mim Jensen was lost in thought about the funeral she had attended earlier that day when the airplane's left engine erupted into ''a torpedo of flames.''

The Piper Navajo wobbled and some of the eight passengers shrieked as the glare of the flames lit up the 10-seater's cabin.

''Then everybody started to pray,'' said Jensen, 39.

The plane's veteran pilot, Dee Rice, who works for Larry's Flying Service, flew the crippled Piper, minus one engine, the final 20 minutes to Galena. No one was hurt.

''There's nothing between Huslia and Galena,'' Jensen said. ''If she would have had to land, she would have been landing between snow and trees and creeks.''

The Federal Aviation Administration is investigating the incident, said Larry Chenaille, the airplane's owner. The cause of the engine failure has not yet been determined, he said.

Rice, 48, who has flown for Larry's for 10 of her 22 years as a pilot, said something, probably a cylinder, blew out the engine's cowling and the engine ignited.

She credits her experience for why she was able to prevail in the ordeal.

''My survival instincts were strong. I thought, 'I could die right now and I don't want to do that.' I was thinking about seeing my sons and my dog.''

Fred Huntington, 51, who sat in the co-pilot seat, said when he first heard the bang he thought something had hit the plane from outside or that Rice had hit her knee against something.

A second later he saw the engine was ablaze.

''The whole airplane was kind of out of control. We weren't nose down but we were weaving around and losing altitude,'' Huntington said. ''The pilot -- she was pretty well shaken up -- she did her job calmly even though she was shaking. The flame was only about a foot from where she was sitting. Everybody was praying to the top of their lungs. You could hear the fire just torching out there-- whoosh -- like that.''

Rice said a catastrophic engine failure rarely occurs and had never happened to her before.

She said pilots shut down engines occasionally as a precautionary measure so they are trained to fly with only one engine -- not that it was easy.

''I feel there were definitely some miracles going on in that airplane last night,'' she said.

Rice, who was trained by her father, Bob Rice, another longtime Bush pilot, appreciated the passengers who prayed, saying their fear was a healthy reaction.

''When I had time, I was praying too,'' she said.

Rice was in constant radio contact with the tower in Galena and with Larry's, headquartered in Fairbanks.

''I did not want to go through it alone,'' she said. She also maintained radio contact so she could report where she was in case the plane went down.

She said she concentrated on doing whatever she could do to fly the plane, instead of focusing on the failed engine.

''Something inside me realized I did not have time to get excited about it,'' Rice said. ''I had to do everything in my power to take care of the situation.''

Larry's, a 30-year-old company, has seven Piper Navajos in its fleet. The plane Rice was flying was built in 1980.

Rice, who is also director of operations at Larry's, said the incident hasn't made her lose faith in Pipers.

''The airplane did what it was supposed to do,'' she said.

Subscribe to Peninsula Clarion

Trending this week:


© 2018. All Rights Reserved. | Contact Us