A rush of fire trucks, police cars and ambulances Wednesday morning brought a line of stopped vehicles and rubbernecking motorists to the intersection of the Kenai Spur Highway and Bridge Access Road.
The emergency vehicles were responding to reports of natural gas leaking near a business in the commercial mall that houses Kristie Leaf's State Farm Insurance agency and Radio Shack behind Arby's Restaurant in Kenai.
According to Kenai Assistant Fire Chief Michael Tilly, a snowplow driver clearing the parking lot accidentally hooked a gas meter, causing the gas leak at about 10:20 a.m.
The driver alertly jumped from his vehicle and shut off the gas before any further damage was done.
Tilly said workers in the business mall were evacuated for about 20 minutes and Enstar was summoned to repair damage to the gas line.
No injuries were reported.
Peninsula Clarion © 2016. All Rights Reserved. | Contact Us